Handbrake puzzle...

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Handbrake puzzle...

Post by T25Convert »

The MOT didn't like my handbrake and I got a major defect for:
  • Nearside Rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Handbrake pulling half of offside (1.2.1 (b) (i))
But footbrake passed fine with only very small imbalance. 

When I jacked up the rear both wheels turn freely with the handbrake off, and as you put the handbrake on both sides become equally difficult to turn. When pulled on hard it is only possible to move the wheel by leaning on my long bar on a wheel nut. Each are equally hard to move. 

I took the drum off the offending nearside and it all looked fine - shoes are pretty even and have plenty of meat left on them, springs are all in the correct places and the self adjuster is present and well greased. No obvious shoe or drum contamination. Both shoes move out by a decent amount when the handbrake is applied. 

Both cables appear to move as far as each other at the balance bar. My bay used to have adjusters on the cables at this point, but these are just hook ended onto the bar, so no adjustment. 

So I am a bit baffled as to what's giving me the variance across the axle. 

I've adjusted it to drag slightly more than the offside to hopefully assist in passing the test, but anyone got any other thoughts, hints or tips? 
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: Handbrake puzzle...

Post by Jim San »

I wonder if it's their error - or equipment?
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'