Coolant hose- thermostat housing to head

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Nigelg37
80-90 Mem No: 17273

Re: Coolant hose- thermostat housing to head

Post by Nigelg37 »

Folks, my round at the pub is getting bigger and better and its very welcome!

Blimey, if this turns out to be the golden answer then, Oldiebut goodie you should be a Detective! what a great spot, ''thank you''. I am in work down in Bristol this week but will be back to my van on Friday to take a look and will report back.

I have one small reservation and i am just hoping i am wrong; from memory there are only 2 bolts holding the plate/spigot (that the hose fits over) to the thermostat housing and therefore if its the orientation that's wrong then the plate will need to spin through 180degs to make a change to its orientation and in which case i am struggling to imagine that a full 180 turn will then end up with my two ports lining up i.e. i am thinking it will be over compensating. Not sure if i explained that well enough.?

Any way I will let you know how i get on at the weekend and in the meantime "Thank you" to all of you, you are stars!

cheers
Nige

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

As spotted by Oldiebutgoodie, I suspect that rotating it 180 as you mentioned will line up the ports, I must remember this myself if i ever have to change this bit. Just remember to do the same with the gaskets.  :lol:
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Nigelg37 wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 11:56
Blimey, if this turns out to be the golden answer then, Oldiebut goodie you should be a Detective! 

I was a type of one in a previous life!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Nigelg37
80-90 Mem No: 17273

Post by Nigelg37 »

All and especially to Oldiebut goodie, i owe you an apology for not reporting back before now on the magnificence of your help. Obg was 100% correct in his observation and hey presto i now have the new straight hose fitted and with the housing cover the right way round everything aligns as it should. my only concern now is that for some considerable time it is likely that the flow of cooling water to the LH head has been restricted and therefore that side of the engine may have been over heating. Any way this is now all good and therefore once again I would like to say a big "thank you" to all that came back with great info and help. I have attached (I think) an image of what the hose looks like now.

My Next Request for Advice, please can i ask you all a second question and hopefully someone has a good idea of what i could try. The topic is hydraulic valve lifter rattle. Due to work etc my van used to sit for long periods of time without being used or run - shame on me. The net result, I think, being that the oil in the lifters drained out and it would take some doing to get them to stop rattling like a train off the tracks. My recent tactic being to change the oil (15W 40) and filter before firing her up and that seemed to work. And, with the lifters running quiet it was really noticeable just how much better the engine runs - no misfires and good energy. Two Saturdays back i was due to go up to Mull in the van to help out on the Rally but on the day she just did not sound or feel good to the point that I swopped to Plan B - Car and Tent. My suspicion is that the seals have hardened and perhaps cracked and therefore i need to do a rebuild but before i start thinking down the road of engine out and head rebuild etc I would like to try another oil change. Would anyone have a good recommendation for Oil - make and SAE - that helps tired valve lifters to operate happily?

Many thanks
Nige