Replacement Engine

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

randamonia
80-90 Mem No: 14035

Replacement Engine

Post by randamonia »

Hi
My current DG engine is fried. I lost all the coolant on the M3 resulting in a very hot lump of scrap at the back where the engine should be.
So I am looking to source a decent, with warranty, reconditioned unit and have a few questions i'm pretty sure the collective here will answer easily.

1. Any advise of where to go and where to avoid please?

2. I was wondering if it is worth going for the 2.1 rather than direct replacement with another 1.9DG?  As I understand, the ancillaries from the current DG are interchangeable, correct? Any gotcha's i need to think about?

3. I am looking to get anything serviced that is worth doing at the same time while the lump is out.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 DG

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Replacement Engine

Post by Mocki »

You need to speak to ajsimmo, aka Campershack .

I would go for the DJ as a replacement everytime, they work really well on the DG carb , and everything that bolts on the DG fits with out issue 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

JeffRoo
80-90 Mem No: 15579

Post by JeffRoo »

I used thevwenginecompany very knowledgeable and fast turn round. Had the turnkey and that’s 2 year unlimited warranty. Never needed it and doesn’t miss a beat. Based around London
84 Caravelle 1.9DG

mercrocker
80-90 Mem No: 9390

Post by mercrocker »

I've just run-in my VW Engine Co. turnkey DG.   Seems fine - initial worries I had about temp gauge reading high and possibly having to add coolant twice seem to have just been bedding-in and me not used to a cooling system actually working correctly..... 

The turnround was very quick and trouble-free, they seem very confident in what they are building/selling but it wasn't cheap.  IF there is a cheap option to do these engines properly I must have missed it during my year-long search for a decent builder. 

VWEC are now in Keston, not far from Biggin Hill.
T25 1.9 DG 4spd Holdsworth Hi Top (factory roof)