Another starter motor earth problem

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bryce
80-90 Mem No: 17419

Another starter motor earth problem

Post by Bryce »

Hi
I have 1987 1.6 jx. The van won't crank and from previous questions and reading through the forum it seems to be a issue with a bad earth.
I have attached jump leads from the starter straight to chassis which started the van fine. Problem solved so I thought...

Today I have fitted a new cable going from the spade terminal on back of starter down to earth point for the engine battery. I used a piggy back bit so that I could connect the old earth as well incase it had any other functions. The van still won't crank.

I have checked continuity and it shows the new and old wire both go to earth as well as the starter itself.

I'm new to all this so if I have missed something glaringly obvious please let me know!

Cheers
1987 1.6td hightop

Bryce
80-90 Mem No: 17419

Re: Another starter motor earth problem

Post by Bryce »

So from watching a good video on YouTube it seems I have been a bit of an idiot. What I thought was the earth on the back of starter is apperantly the trigger from ignition!
I am going to put it all back to how it was and look closely at the earth strap from battery. Unfortunately the connector snapped in half when I was taking it off.

One thing I did notice is that on the video the earth strap went from the batt terminal onto the engine itself however on my van it is just bolted onto the lip of the battery tray. Is this normal?

Cheers
1987 1.6td hightop