Where to get a new Fuel Regulator?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

VanDave
80-90 Mem No: 0

Where to get a new Fuel Regulator?

Post by VanDave »

Hi, All,
  It looks like the Fuel Pressure Regulator has gone bad on my 2.1 DJ engine, the previously fine running engine won't start,  cylinders are getting way too much petrol in them and after a brief spin on the starter, the starter struggles to turn the engine against the hydraulic lock of so much fuel. removing plugs and spinning the engine over blasts out lots of fuel, if I disconnect the fuel pump and try to start it, it briefly runs, and the plugs all spark well, good compression, but when the pump is reconnected the same thing occurs again, briefly spins on the starter, hydraulic lock, loads of fuel soaking the plugs and no attempt to fire. does this sound like a failed Regulator to those in the know? I checked that the injectors are not leaking and none have any drips or leaks when the pump is running with injectors removed.
Also, where the heck can you buy a new FP Regulator? I spent ages googling and found lots of sources, all out of stock, apart from one or two sellers in the States.  apart from trying to get hold of a 2nd hand one in the UK, any ideas, or other tests to try to be certain it is the regulator?
Cheers,  Dave.
86 Caravelle Carat. 2.1 DJ

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Where to get a new Fuel Regulator?

Post by Aidan »

check that the take off spigot on the plenum chamber that supplies the vacuum to the fuel regulator is clear and there is vacuum, a jewellers type screwdriver will ream it out if it has become blocked by rust/oil residues etc...  on a MV this only affects the fuel regulator, on a DJ it also affects the timing which will exacerbate any issues
the vacuum is strongest at idle hence the regulator allows a lot of fuel back to the tank and reduces the pressure of fuel available to the injectors, and the vacuum at the throttle body is low. As revs increase the vacuum increases at the throttle body so on a DJ advancing the distributor, and the plenum vacuum reduces so the fuel regulator limits the return to the tank and increases fuel pressure towards the max that the fuel pump delivers at full revs

obviously check the vacuum hoses for leaks

I have a good used regulator available, they are generally very robust and long lived

VanDave

Post by VanDave »

Thanks for the reply, Aidan. will do those checks, and clear any blockage in the stub on the plenum.  and was planning to replace the old brittle cloth covered rubber vacuum tube when the new (hopefully better) stuff arrives.
If the FP Regulator fails would fuel be sucked into the plenum through the vacuum pipe (if say the diaphragm in the reg was split or holed)
or is the increased pressure of a failed reg. likely introducing too much fuel through the injectors?
Cheers
Dave.

Vwjue73

Post by Vwjue73 »

Hi i got a beck anley one they are well priced on eBay or Amazon. Com they shipped mine from the states with prime for no extra I think good quality and Bosch spec hope that helps 🖒

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

I may have a NOS one , I’ll check , pretty sure I have a used one somewhere

VanDave

Post by VanDave »

Thanks for the replies, I got a good, used pressure regulator from Aidan who posted it to me quickly, fitted it today, and all is well again thankfully!
If this info is of use to anyone with similar symptoms who suspects they may have a failed pressure regulator, I hope it helps.
The old FP regulator was sucking petrol from the normally sealed off side of the diaphram  in the regulator (which was leaking,) through the vacuum pipe, into the plenum chamber so much so that a lot of fuel was finding it's way into the engine oil following repeated attempts to start the engine, eventually the increased  amount  of oil/petrol mix now in the engine was getting into the air filter box via the breather and being blasted out of the exhaust while cranking the engine in attempts to start it. when I removed the failing regulator, petrol came running out out the metal pipe stub that the vacuum hose pushes onto. definitely not normal, that side of the diaphragm should obviously be dry.
When I drained the oil and changed the filter there was around twice as much thin, diluted oil as there should be in there! 
next was fresh oil, and filter, thorough clean of spark pugs with brake cleaner, blast out any oily residue by cranking the engine over with the plugs out, fit the good, used regulator from Aidan, plugs back in and ign. leads on  and the engine started straight away, all be it very smokily until all the unburnt fuel/oil mix in the cylinders was burnt away. runs fine again now as it did before this sudden, out of the blue episode which really stumped me for a while.
Hopefully  this may be of help to anyone with the same problem.  And Many Thanks to Aidan for getting the part to me double quick after contacting him.

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Hi VanDave,
Seems l may have a similar problem with my DJ 2.1. Fuel pressure regulator may have failed and refusing to fire up. Flooding to a point fuel is dripping out of the joins in the exhaust and oil smells of petrol on dipstick.
When the issue started did you note the fuel pump didnt prime for 0.5 second when turning on ignition? Instead the pump just continuously runs.
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

VanDave

Post by VanDave »

In my case, the pump was working as normal, but the pressure reg. was letting a lot of fuel through, and sucking fuel through the vacuum pipe. check if your oil level has risen due to petrol diluting it., I also had fuel leaking from the exhaust joint. stupidly, I continued trying to start the engine for too long and now although the 2nd hand reg. fixed one problem, (starts and runs great now) it is definitely burning oil and is very smoky,  I'm waiting for a compression tester to arrive. so I'm guessing valve guides or rings/bores had some accelerated wear with the diluted oil. if a new or 2nd hand reg. fixes your problem, dry out the plugs and change oil and filter, hopefully not much wear will have occured.
All the best with it and keep us posted.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Okay and thanks for reply.
That is another worry. Fuel pump is not stopping after priming on key ingnition. Tested with a spare pump carried on board. Perhaps FPR is first call though.
Im not in a position to work on camper for a week or so. Im with camper now, in Swanley. But heading to Chichester in a hire car until Sunday. I have an untested spare FPR at home in Margate. So a bit of running back and forth is needed.
Will recheck oil again.
MaxStu

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

I'd be looking to see where the fuel pump signal power comes from. It's Been awhile since I had my dijijet system, but isn't there a relay box in the engine bay (left side?) with the fuel pump relay? And another one there too. Could it be a bad relay sticking closed? I know you can force the pump to run continuously by jumping that relay with ignition on...

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

VanDave

Post by VanDave »

The right hand relay of the pair in the plastic box at the left of the engine is the fuel pump relay, a bit of info on checking here.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=674721

May be worth checking no injectors are leaking too, although that shouldn't cause a leak bad enough to be getting petrol dripping from the exhaust join.

Also.. try not to let it ruin your break, (I know it's easier said than done!) these things always happen at the most inconvenient time!

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Did it ruin my break? You decide! :rofl

Instead of cosy campervan bed to myself l spent four nights sleeping on a sunlounger cushion in a bright, airless conservatory (light by 3.30am as we head towards longest BST day) annexe.

Constant heavy rain pounding the conservatory plastic roof night and day, and preventing any (sporadic attempts) out door work like stripping hull and re-applying antifoul and prop refurb.

My aged Dad (90) going gaga (not really) and constantly making me milky tea when l only drink black coffee. Bless him!

Said 2 litre milk carton leaked (after being thrown off side of yacht on to concrete) throughout my tool box and boot of rental car, giving the vehicle a strange smell of human corruption as the sour milk mingled with white spirit fumes.

New depth transducer fitted through hull only to find it stands too high in bilge to refit floorboards. 125 quid down the swanny. Local chandlery had proper replacement for £80.00.

Hire car averaging 32mpg? Worse economy than my last LPG camper. I accidentally put a small but obvious scratch on the top part of rear arch, yet hidden when rear passenger door is closed. After dropping off Dad and work equipment, and returning car to depot l deftly parked the car next to a huge puddle so rear door inaccessible. Car signed off as okay. So I fled the scene to a nearby pub. :pimp

Finally, the cab journey back to my failed camper, in a very soggy and muddy stableyard. The driver was so obviously taken back by my broken apprearance he offered to carry my bags!

Did it ruin my break? :rofl
MaxStu