clutch to the floor

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

manluka
80-90 Mem No: 8579

clutch to the floor

Post by manluka »

Just had a new clutch fitted, but I have found in order to change gear, I have to put the clutch pedal right down to the floor. On release there is an instant bite and very easy to stall the engine.. ? is this normal for a new clutch until bedded in or could there be another problem..?
It's hard to be great, when your as humble as I am.......

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: clutch to the floor

Post by TONYT25T25 »

There have been a few posts recently relating to something similar to what you are experiencing, have you done a search of topics/posts relating to clutch issues it may give some guidance.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

manluka

Post by manluka »

Hi everyone, I have searched the forum for an answer to an issue I have with my clutch, but Im still not clear as what the problem is, the pedal has to be pushed right down to the floor in order to change gear, and I have no play before it bites. It was fine until I had a replacement new clutch and kit fitted and to be honest I hate driving the van with this problem. Is there anyone who has  similar issues and could advise me as to what needs to be done. thanks in advance.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

how worn were the clutch fork tips ? how much play was there in the clutch fork bushes
which engine, which clutch kit ?
how much movement observed at clutch lever arm under the slave cylinder
you say no play at the pedal - really ? there's nearly always some and there should be some 0.5mm clearance at the master cylinder pushrod which is usually 1/2" minimum at the pedal, feeling free play is best done by hand rather than by foot, you can hold the pushrod with one hand and operate the pedal with the other, your hands are very sensitive
there could be wear in the pedal where the clevis attaches, it was fine with the old worn clutch which cleared without full throw but now you need full throw of the clutch to clear as the clutch is all new
how was it bled, was the fluid changed, is the slave leaking ?
Best person to look at it where you are is Thomas Cowley aka Diamondhell, I'm not sure any of the garages on the island are actually T25 competent

manluka

Post by manluka »

Thanks Aidan, I'm no mechanic so unfortunatly cant answer any of your questions. I have a 87,  1.9 water cooled engine, and purchased the the clutch kit from heritage. Had it fitted but unfortunatly the guy who done it is away at the moment... Just wondered if this was a common problem and will it improve when the clutch has been bedded in..?

manluka

Post by manluka »

just to let you know, my clutch has now improved, and is starting to feel normal again ..thanks for replies to my enquiry.