Regular E5 Petrol No Longer Available from September

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Piratepete
80-90 Mem No: 17272

Regular E5 Petrol No Longer Available from September

Post by Piratepete »

Hi Guys
I've been replying to Newbies question, below, about Super versus Regular for his DJ when I came across a recent article on the Thisismoney.co.uk website which I've also found on other sites - just Google it.

This says that from September all garages will be replacing  Regular 95 Octane E5 (5% bioethanol mix) with E10. :( They are saying that as E10 will likely wreck engines in classic vehicles and a lot of engines made before the early 2000s, we will have to use the more expensive Super Unleaded. So get your screwdrivers out and adjust the timing! :)

The article ges on to say that 5% Super Unleaded is planned to be unavailable from 2026, at which point we'll need additives and modifications to counteract the corrosive effects of Ethanol. Perhaps that is why Newbie's previous owner was including an additive in the fuel.! :!: :shock: Maybe he thought 5% Ethanol had the potential to damage the engine.

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Regular E5 Petrol No Longer Available from September

Post by Stesaw »

As I plan to run my DJ on a carb I guess I will just adjust the timing and check fuel lines every now and then. Maybe I will get an EFI system at somepoint but it's not high on the list. Will see how it all pans out. I doubt combustion engines are just gonna dissappear and I doubt big oil will let it happen either.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

King Kenny
80-90 Mem No: 10965

Post by King Kenny »

We live in France and have used E10 for some time. The only problem as far as I can see is that E10 rots some rubber or plastic parts. The engine will run the same until some part or other rots away, such as fuel lines or carburettor floats. Both can be changed for E10 proof replacements. I have replaced the float on my Triumph 650 motorbike for example. The biggest expense for our vans will face is falling for the snake oil additives that will "fix" E10 and improve mileage and performance. I'm not panicking, I remember the rubbish that was spread about Unleaded fuel.
I don't know where I am, but I'm having a lovely time!

1990 CARAVELLE 1.9cc petrol : watercooled

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I have seen several other threads and posts regarding this upgrade of fuel and various opinions and types/makes of replacement hoses to combat it, is there any chance the recommended type of hose could be added to the WIKI under Fuel System instead of hunting through various posts.  I have looked at WIKI recently and could not spot it.  Apologies if it is already there and I missed it (not the first time).
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

I’m sure it can be added to the wiki , several folk have the ability to add to the wiki 
I just don’t have the time to find this info and add it right now 

as far as the scaremongering that will take place , remember VW designed these engines when 2 star was a petrol , it’s gone , leaded was a petrol it’s gone , we are still running …. Unleaded , it’s can go , we will get round it
the float isn’t plastic in a 2e3 as far as I know , and petrol pipes should be changed regularly anyway .
I run my DJ on a carb set at 10° timing no issues on super unleaded ( if I ran out of LPG)  so I’m not worrying 
Petrol won’t disappear, despite the tree huggers  
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Just changing your fuel hoses for this spec should be enough to keep you running on E10 (and then E15) for years to come.
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/fuel-hose- ... 5-5mm.html

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Thanks Guys, good information as usual.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Piratepete
80-90 Mem No: 17272

Post by Piratepete »

Just lifted this advice:
My car is not compliant with E10 - what can I do? Guy Lachlan, managing director of Classic Oils, has outlined some advice to owners of older cars and classics.
'You’ve either got to use fuel with no ethanol or change the materials that don’t like it,' he explains. 'If you are in any doubt about your rubber fuel lines, change them. Get rid of your fibreglass petrol tank and install an aluminium one. 
'The other thing ethanol really doesn’t like is solder. If you are running a soldered float in your carburettor, then think about carrying a spare – they’re generally quite easy to change.'Hagerty says owners of classic and modern classic cars should consider lead additives for models that are not designed to run on petrol with such high ethanol content.
 'When it comes to storing your car, if it is older than 1996 and doesn’t have a catalytic converter, you can use a lead replacement additive such as Castrol’s Classic Valvemaster which can help prevent corrosion as it also contains an ethanol stabiliser. 
'This product has received endorsement by the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs.'For modern classics there are catalyst-friendly additives available such as Millers Ethanol Protection Additive or Lucas Oil Ethanol Fuel Conditioner, but your best advice is to check with the car manufacturer or relevant owners club.'

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Wonder if the stuff will effect syncro tanks as they aren't metal.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

They are plastic are they not? I very much doubt the fuel will have any affect on plastic.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Yeah they are, but I had to ask the stupid question :wink: 

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

R0B wrote: 21 May 2021, 21:29 They are plastic are they not? I very much doubt the fuel will have any affect on plastic.

?, That could be a very broad conclusion :wink:
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

Buy a stinky diesel ;)

But to be serious, as told above. You should change your rubber fuel hoses somewhat regularly anyways, and decent hoses which are sold in the last 10-15 years are can handle ethanol. So if the hoses were not changed do it now.
If you park your van off season, then do the last fill up with 100 octane petrol as bikers do. Or use additives that help against fuel sepaeation ad water collection.

These should be enough
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th