Choke pull down restricter, advice/help required please

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chewbacca
80-90 Mem No: 16186

Choke pull down restricter, advice/help required please

Post by chewbacca »

Hi all

The choke pull down unit on my engine has failed & on Googling up related things, found out about the restricter that should be in the controlling vacuum pipe.

I've found a few photos of said item, but no specs to re-produce one. Does anyone have a the measurements or able to take some please?

In the mean time I'll find a suitable bit of brass & drill a tiny hole through it, I'm guessing anything is better than nothing?

Thanks for the help everyone.
B plate 1.9 petrol bus

trundletruc
80-90 Mem No: 1225

Re: Choke pull down restricter, advice/help required please

Post by trundletruc »

Before you put a restrictor in the pipe to the pull down check if there is already a restrictor built into the main body of the carb.
I have two carbs, 1 carb has a plain hole into the Venturi the other has the restriction in the hole.
Trundletruc 1984 DG-DJ Devon Moonraker

chewbacca

Post by chewbacca »

I'll check that tomorrow, thank you.

Still need to get a something in place just in case.
Doesn't help that there seems to 2 ways to spell it when Googling, ending in 'er' or 'or. Lol
B plate 1.9 petrol bus

bambily
80-90 Mem No: 17375

Post by bambily »

Great tips! I searched for a restrictor valve forever, until I looked at the connector pipe and bingo - restrictor built in!
T3 '83 1.9L DG - Camper

trundletruc
80-90 Mem No: 1225

Post by trundletruc »

Glad I have been of some use!
The annoying thing about the Pierburg Carb is that there does not seem to be a manual that covers all the changes to the carb fitted to the T3. I would assume being as your van is 1983 and mine is 1984 the early ones had the restrictor built into the carb and the later ones had it in the tube? according the Utube video there are carbs with part number and "nothing" "J" or "H" on the top. What's the difference?
Trundletruc 1984 DG-DJ Devon Moonraker

bambily
80-90 Mem No: 17375

Post by bambily »

trundletruc wrote: 16 May 2021, 12:19 Glad I have been of some use!
The annoying thing about the Pierburg Carb is that there does not seem to be a manual that covers all the changes to the carb fitted to the T3. I would assume being as your van is 1983 and mine is 1984 the early ones had the restrictor built into the carb and the later ones had it in the tube? according the Utube video there are carbs with part number and "nothing" "J" or "H" on the top. What's the difference?
I don't own it, but there might be some information in "HAYNES MANUAL: SOLEX & PIERBURG CARBURETTORS"?
The other differences I know about is the change from 13mm accelerator pump diaphragm to 19mm, the removal of the "mesh filter" in the corner and a fifth screw that holds the top and bottom together. What does yours carbs part number end with? I can take a look at mine later on.

Sorry for "hijacking" the thread anyway, just wanted to thank for the helpful information. :)
T3 '83 1.9L DG - Camper

chewbacca

Post by chewbacca »

No in built restriction on mine, that I could see. There was also no resistance when I tried blowing through the pipe into the carb, so I'm fairly certain there's nothing in there.

I've knocked something up, it's about 6mm long, but smallest hole I could manage was 1mm. It adds some restriction to the flow, but who knows if it's enough.

I'm also a bit weirded out by it's function, as soon as the engine is running it seems to have enough suction to open the pull down anyway.

:?
B plate 1.9 petrol bus