Air Filter box connectors

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Air Filter box connectors

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Took this apart the other day as wanted to check if enough air was getting into the system.  Item marked as no3 in the diagram has a spring amongst its operation which I thought maybe heat activated, initially the spring was off centre but I managed to take it apart and realign it properly.  Used a heat gun to simulated heat from the engine to see if the spring moved but it did not shift.  My question is how much does it affect the operation/mixture as I cannot find out any other information relating to how it should work (heat or other method).  Engine runs fine but want to ensure it is breathing properly as this whole unit looks as if it may constrain the flow of air.

1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Air Filter box connectors

Post by Aidan »

it's vacuum operated, take a look at the DG manual here DG manual at SyncroSport

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Air Filter box connectors

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Excellent, thanks Aidan just what I was looking for, I suspected it was vacuum due to the pipes in and out and no visible material that would react to heat, the spring is very strong though so must take a lot of suction or whatever is used to alter its position,  Will have a good read on the link you provided.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX