Air Filter Box Full Of Fuel, Looks Like Crankcase Is Full As well As Sump

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

declan.donaghy1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Air Filter Box Full Of Fuel, Looks Like Crankcase Is Full As well As Sump

Post by declan.donaghy1 »

Just got a 1980 t25 2l CU van and had a look at the air filter box, its flooded with fuel! it looks like it has also got into the crankcase and has filled the sump and mixed with the oil! Hoping this isn't catastrophic! It looks like only one of the Solex carbs are working and one is overflowing into the air filter box 

So far I have drained the oil out of the sump, planning on refilling it soon! is there anything else I should check or do prior to this?

Hoping this makes sense to some of you! 

Many Thanks

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Air Filter Box Full Of Fuel, Looks Like Crankcase Is Full As well As Sump

Post by Aidan »

I think the fuel pump should also be checked if it is the original type in the block, but I may be wrong someone CU knowledgeable will be along shortly

Rosie n' Jim
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Air Filter Box Full Of Fuel, Looks Like Crankcase Is Full As well As Sump

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

I doubt it's the carb that's leaking into the crankcase. Excess fuel will flow into the intake, and whilst running would make it run rich. When not running, the pump won't be pumping, whether electric or mechanical.
If the mechanical pump is leaking fuel into the crankcase whilst running, the rise in oil level could be drawn into the air filter via the breather pipe.
It would be wise to fully ventilate the crankcase before starting, I wouldn't want to be around if the fuel vapour ignited!
Good luck.
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.