Smoking dash...

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chewbacca
80-90 Mem No: 16186

Smoking dash...

Post by chewbacca »

Hi all.

Got a weird issue and could do with some help.

I recently started the new engine for the first time, but that's a different tale, when the smoke started.
It was coming from the centre dash vents.
First diagnosis, blower motor. I didn't even notice it was on, but when off the smoke seemed to stop. Once removed, it's definitely spent and the plastic around the resistor is melty.
I also noticed the heater matrix was coolant stained, so probably leaking.

New blower, with PWM to replace the resistor and new heater matrix fitted. Heater box all back in place, but the main dash not in place. I should also say, the ignition feed to the fan was still disconnected, so all was completely dead from an electrical side.

Engine run up to temperature, lots of smoke from the vents! I'm sure it's smoke and not steam. Put the slider to cold to stop water flow, smoke seemed to stop. Back on hot, so water flow through the matrix, smoke again.

At first I thought this must be muck or oil on the matrix, but it's not stopped when last run.
The matrix is a brickwerks unit, but the cheaper one of the 2 they do.

Any thoughts anyone? I've not split the box apart again yet to access the matrix, but I can't think what else is causing it!
B plate 1.9 petrol bus

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Smoking dash...

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Put one of the wife's makeup mirrors ( or one of yours :D ) in the fridge for a while then hold it in the smoke/steam (technically water vapour), if it condenses on the mirror it is coolant vapour not smoke.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

chewbacca

Post by chewbacca »

It left a small ammount of residue on the windscreen, so at first I was sure it was coolant. It didn't seem to be like normal steam though. I guess I need to open the box back up so I can see where it's coming from.
It definitely has the look of smoke though, not steam. It'll be disappointing if the new matrix leaks.
:cry:
B plate 1.9 petrol bus

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

How hot did it get ? 
could it be transport oil ? The stuff that some metal stuff is shipped in to keep surface rust at bay ? Burning off ? 

Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

chewbacca

Post by chewbacca »

It was up to temp, slightly hot if anything.
B plate 1.9 petrol bus

chewbacca

Post by chewbacca »

Decided not to do anything just yet, 1 issue at a time. As soon as I've got the engine running properly, I'll re-visit this. Hopefully by then this will have resolved itself if it is just something on the outside of the matrix burning off.  :|
B plate 1.9 petrol bus