Throttle cable routing (solved)

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jigarai
80-90 Mem No: 16876

Throttle cable routing (solved)

Post by jigarai »

Hi Folks,

I recently replaced my throttle cable as it was sticking. I tied a bit of cord to the old one an used it to re-thread the new one through the same routing. I suspect a PO didn't though as I'm not happy about the way it goes through the brake piping etc in front of the fuel tank. I suspect there is a grommet missing from the bracket on the chassis at the accelerator end...

Can anyone signpost a diagram or some suitable photos? I've looked in the Bentley and Haynes and they are not helpful on this particular stretch.

(It's RHD)

TIA!
Last edited by jigarai on 14 Apr 2021, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Caravelle. 16v GTi. 4 speed, manual. LHD (US import)

jigarai
80-90 Mem No: 16876

Re: Throttle cable routing

Post by jigarai »

So to follow up I’ve had at it and just applied common sense. It’s good stuff!

What was missing was the outer pu tubing sleeve (from brickerks, cut to 2430mm length as advised on their page).

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/cables/throttle-cables/throttle-cable-conduit-t3.html

With that in place it wasn’t relying on tension between contact points on the routing and so the application of common sense gave a sensible solution.

I used a washer instead of the missing gromit where the pu sleeve meets the bracket on the chassis.

Finally the connection to the accelerator pedal was the wrong way around. It needs to be bolted from the driver’s right (the awkward way) otherwise it snags a little.

Hope that is helpful to anyone else having similar crises of common sense. :-)

1985 Caravelle. 16v GTi. 4 speed, manual. LHD (US import)