Waterjacket seal replacement 1,9dg

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Waterjacket seal replacement 1,9dg

Post by maxstu »

So what's happening??
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

jamie.smith
80-90 Mem No: 17475

Post by jamie.smith »

Sir Brixalot wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 11:04 Had both sides done in S London for about £900. 

Could you recommend them? Going to have to get mine done soon, or do it myself. I am in Tottenham, North London. Engine is very clean recon on 40K ish with a recent stainless steel system with no stud issues. WBX 1.9 DG

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

jamie.smith wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 18:39
Sir Brixalot wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 11:04 Had both sides done in S London for about £900. 

Could you recommend them? Going to have to get mine done soon, or do it myself. I am in Tottenham, North London. Engine is very clean recon on 40K ish with a recent stainless steel system with no stud issues. WBX 1.9 DG

I wonder what the OP ended up doing?

Are you saying the waterjackets are leaking after only 40k? That is not good. How many years ago was the rebuild?
As the engine is fairly fresh with no stud issues, then give it a go yourself. It is most rewarding...providing you have the time and room/garage/workshop/shed to work in comfort.
Cleanliness is the answer. Plus a decent engine stand.
:ok
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

jamie.smith

Post by jamie.smith »

Thanks for the reply. Engine has been amazing in the time I have had the van (3 years). It had a recon looking at receipts and MOT but sat for a very long time doing minimal distance (I think under 500 miles in 10 years). I noticed a coolant leak left side by the head last year and replaced the inlet manifold to head pipe assuming it was that. Fast forward and have had no real issues or noticeable leaks but a belt snapped on a busy road and had to drive for about a mile or so, last year. Had overflow steam and coolant leak at the side of the road. I let it cool a bit and topped up and it's been fine for nearly a year. Recently noticed expansion tank is draining at a slow rate. I have changed the Dalek cap tonight and had a look and there is pink coolant sat on the casing by the head again. Can't see any noticeable tear or degradation in the seal but not sure what it could be other than a leak from the water jacket gasket. Could it be a leak at the thermostat housing? My thoughts going forward - keep the expansion tank topped up and monitor the leak. It's probably been like that for the last year, so should see me through the summer. I've got a mate with a VW garage up here - could prob get the engine out on a stand and look at it all at the end of summer. 

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

It sounds like you had an overheating event, and that can result in stretched head studs, which subsequently reduces clamping force on both the fire rings and water jacket seals. Also the stresses put on the seals during the incident (temperature and pressure outside normal operating range, plus extraordinary relative movement between components) can result in internal tears and breaches of the sealant bonds between seal and case or heads. They don't like getting hot.

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

jamie.smith

Post by jamie.smith »

Worst case, I will be giving the VW Engine Co a call sometime in the not so distant future. There was not a huge leak and it seemed to be limited to the tank areas, wishful thinking I know. Would engine out and replace studs and gasket do the trick, or am I at risk of doing all that, putting it back in and still not right? Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciate it   8)