Recon Engine Recommendations

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: Recon Engine Recommendations

Post by ajsimmo »

davemaccy wrote: This does actually fill me with some kind of positivity - much appreciated.  Will keep you posted!

Any news?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Freddievan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Freddievan »

ajsimmo wrote: 03 May 2021, 08:44
davemaccy wrote: This does actually fill me with some kind of positivity - much appreciated.  Will keep you posted!

Any news?
Yes, I was interested to see the outcome too.  I had exactly the same happen to me on the M74 en-route to the Highlands.  Temp gauge shot up, red light, buzzer and the van dumped all the water with along with an alarming amount of steam.  I managed to pull the van into the services at Gretna Green.  I was towed to a garage and was convinced the engine was dead but they changed to the belt, filled it with coolant and sent me on my way to Glencoe.  Nothing less than a miracle.

How much does a rebuild cost, ajsimmo?

T25 1991 1915cc petrol

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

Freddievan wrote: How much does a rebuild cost, ajsimmo?

Depends on lots of variables, but as a quick rule of thumb budget for £1500 plus parts, which can add up to £2750+, so anywhere between £2200 and £5k depending on spec.

Freddievan

Post by Freddievan »

ajsimmo wrote: 03 May 2021, 18:14
Freddievan wrote: How much does a rebuild cost, ajsimmo?

Depends on lots of variables, but as a quick rule of thumb budget for £1500 plus parts, which can add up to £2750+, so anywhere between £2200 and £5k depending on spec.

Eek!  Worth every penny but... I better start saving up.  Are you based on Arran?

T25 1991 1915cc petrol

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

Yep, that's us.

JeffRoo
80-90 Mem No: 15579

Post by JeffRoo »

I used thevwenginecompany. Cracking job, really helpful and not had a problem 4 years down the road. Been to the outer Hebrides from southern England, not a issue. I can personally highly recommend them
84 Caravelle 1.9DG

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

As above I have only done 350 miles on it, but it runs really nice.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Freddievan

Post by Freddievan »

ajsimmo wrote: 03 May 2021, 20:45 Yep, that's us.

I'm guessing you either have to drive (or tow) the van to Arran or just have the engine delivered to you?  Bear with me, I really am clueless about this stuff.

T25 1991 1915cc petrol

baabaa

Post by baabaa »

Hi, I can recommend Harry Harpic's, they rebuilt my 1.9 waterboxer and didn't do work that didn't need doing and gave me some ideas on mild upgrades which I opted for and glad I did (large valve heads and a Weber twin choke +manifolds) it's transformed the van and the engine is as sweet as a nut, worth remembering that if you go with a recon engine you don't no how many times it's be reconned and you maybe throwing out the baby with the bathwater ! Essex by the way.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

I should have mentioned if you use LPG the vw engine companys warranty expects you to do 10,000 miles on petrol before you can switch to LPG. And their warranty is void if you do use LPG.

R0B wrote: 07 May 2021, 20:13 As above I have only done 350 miles on it, but it runs really nice.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

For anyone running LPG, I only ask that you do 1000 miles on petrol to maintain the warranty.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

baabaa wrote: 09 May 2021, 12:50 Hi, I can recommend Harry Harpic's, they rebuilt my 1.9 waterboxer and didn't do work that didn't need doing and gave me some ideas on mild upgrades which I opted for and glad I did (large valve heads and a Weber twin choke +manifolds) it's transformed the van and the engine is as sweet as a nut, worth remembering that if you go with a recon engine you don't no how many times it's be reconned and you maybe throwing out the baby with the bathwater ! Essex by the way.

The only "large valve" heads you can fit are the later DG/DJ type, along with the appropriate cam. It would transform a DF.
A true full rebuild will replace almost the entire engine: rods, pistons, barrels, cam, heads, oil pump, cam followers...

mercrocker
80-90 Mem No: 9390

Post by mercrocker »

My 1.9DG has just been replaced by the VW Engine Co. in Keston, Kent.   It wasn't cheap by the time it was done - much more money than I have ever spent buying or restoring a vehicle since I started driving nearly 45 years ago!     

I only picked this up last week so first impressions are still very new ones but their apparent thoroughness and professionalism is visible enough.   The van runs very well - as I expected it to given I ticked the "turnkey" option wherein they check and clean all ancillaries that are going back on the engine.   It certainly looked like I had received a new engine rather than a brush-painted rebore.

Disappointingly, my core was not deemed suitable for full refund but I did get a scrap allowance for it, this was owing to heat damage on the crankcase halves.   I have a 2 year warranty, this conditional upon them doing the turnkey supply and fit operation and is voided by use of LPG as mentioned earlier in the thread.     

The "old" engine was not the original one in my van - that seems to have only lasted 67000 miles but the recon went on past 90,000.    I am not expecting this new unit to do any better than that but hope that it will remain viable as a repairable engine in future years before I myself become too old for camper van shenanigans. 

I appreciate this brief early review is not what is needed for recommending an engine builder but my decision to go with VWEC was taken after a year-long search through forums and speaking to people.   First choice was Camper Shack but logistically that was not practical as I was determined to have the unit fitted by the builders rather than get caught between engineer and garage over any potential issues - I do not carry out any more than basic servicing myself.  

T25 1.9 DG 4spd Holdsworth Hi Top (factory roof)

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

Thanks for your nomination, but sorry I didn't win the award!
Just to clarify, I now seem to be working more often on a build, supply and fit-on-site basis. The last two being a 2.1 upgrade in Cromarty, and a DG straight swap in Belper, both done at the customers' home premises.

mercrocker
80-90 Mem No: 9390

Post by mercrocker »

Sorry!   I must thank you for the advice you gave me on the more than one occasion on which we spoke, though.   I am a very long way down South, too!    
T25 1.9 DG 4spd Holdsworth Hi Top (factory roof)