Oil leak... Where to start?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MoritzTheDoka
80-90 Mem No: 0

Oil leak... Where to start?

Post by MoritzTheDoka »

As mentioned in another post (apologies for all the posts, but thought it best to split them up)

Under the van today as I spotted a bit of a puddle as I came down the drive.

This is what I found...

Can someone point me in the right direction please, where to start etc
1983 doka
1.9DG 4 speed

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Oil leak... Where to start?

Post by Aidan »

check the clutch slave cylinder first
clean off the oil and then see where it reappears
it could be the crank seal behind the flywheel or one of the engine core plugs behind the flywheel
so fingers crossed it's the clutch slave  :D

MoritzTheDoka

Post by MoritzTheDoka »

Aidan wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 13:22 check the clutch slave cylinder first
clean off the oil and then see where it reappears
it could be the crank seal behind the flywheel or one of the engine core plugs behind the flywheel
so fingers crossed it's the clutch slave :D

Thanks man, I know nothing of engines, but mechanically minded and learn pretty quick...

Where do I find said clutch slave cylinder?

If it's any indication it seems to be dripping off of that central bracket, off the end of the threaded stud right here:

There was an oil leak mentioned on the last MOT, and the guy I bought the van off said it was the sump which had been sorted?
1983 doka
1.9DG 4 speed

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

immediately above that plate is the mating face of the engine and gearbox and there is a little cut out in the casting of the engine so that oil can get out if the crank seal or other leak behind the flywheel occurs so that the clutch plate doesn't get contaminated by oil, difficult to see clearly with the exhaust and the support bracket there. Also on the left side top of the gearbox is the clutch slave cylinder, you can see it from above and from THE side through the wheel arch, if that is leaking then the hydraulic fluid can run down to the lowest point, that plate, before dripping off so look to see if it is leaking, should be obvious if boot is split and full of fluid. If the split case of the engine is leaking then you won't easily fix it, captain tolleys creeping crack cure might work, but the two halves are sealed together when the engine is built and it is quite acritical part of the engine build requiring clean and perfectly flat surfaces and correct assembly technique; if oil is weeping down the threads of one of the case bolts then pretty difficult to cure for same reason.

MoritzTheDoka

Post by MoritzTheDoka »

Aidan wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 09:22 immediately above that plate is the mating face of the engine and gearbox and there is a little cut out in the casting of the engine so that oil can get out if the crank seal or other leak behind the flywheel occurs so that the clutch plate doesn't get contaminated by oil, difficult to see clearly with the exhaust and the support bracket there. Also on the left side top of the gearbox is the clutch slave cylinder, you can see it from above and from THE side through the wheel arch, if that is leaking then the hydraulic fluid can run down to the lowest point, that plate, before dripping off so look to see if it is leaking, should be obvious if boot is split and full of fluid. If the split case of the engine is leaking then you won't easily fix it, captain tolleys creeping crack cure might work, but the two halves are sealed together when the engine is built and it is quite acritical part of the engine build requiring clean and perfectly flat surfaces and correct assembly technique; if oil is weeping down the threads of one of the case bolts then pretty difficult to cure for same reason.

Thanks again for the reply and the pointers.

I'll have a good look over the area's you mention and see if I can spot anything. Fingers crossed 🤞

MoritzTheDoka wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 13:36 creeping crack cure

☝️😂
1983 doka
1.9DG 4 speed

MoritzTheDoka

Post by MoritzTheDoka »

Aidan wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 09:22 clutch slave cylinder

It was this.

Clutch went flat to the floor the following day after dumping a load more fluid onto the driveway overnight.

New cylinder being fitted today 👍

Thanks again Aidan ☺️
1983 doka
1.9DG 4 speed