Identity needed please

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cookie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Identity needed please

Post by Cookie »

Good evening all,

I’m new to this forum so I apologise if I should be introducing myself in another section.

I’m known to everyone as Cookie and am the new proud owner of a 1980 2 litre air-cooled who is in need of a lot of love. (The van not me!) I’m relatively handy and have done the usual service, spark plugs, oil change, filter etc and also had to replace the push rod seals due to a massive leak. Also discovered the retaining wires were missing so no wonder they were leaking!

I’m getting round to other bits and bobs and have the Haynes manual as reference as well as this site and others however.... My engine looks slightly different to all the photos I see online and in the manual, I have no doubt it is the original engine but I’ve attached a photo and circled three things in different colours that are different in my engine. The photo is of the stock engine photo I usually see and could someone kindly identify the three circled objects.

On my engine the blue circled object is next to the distributor cap. The red circled object is completely missing and so are the wires/hoses. And finally the green circled object is a pipe coming from the air filter housing that doesn’t have anything connected to it on mine; Is that correct or should it have a hose on?

Sorry this is text heavy but and help would be appreciated.

Cheers Cookie
1980 2.0 Aircooled Devon conversion
(Still learning the rest!)

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Identity needed please

Post by Stesaw »

Blue is your Coil
Red are Vacuum lines
As for the other pipe I am not sure but sarran1955 could help I am sure.

Welcome anyways!

E D I T, Also from my understanding you need to make sure the engine has all the tinwear and seal around it in the engine bay.
Perhaps a picture of yours might help with people giving advice
:ok
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Check the pipe on the back actually has a hole , most don’t

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The coil was on the engine on early engines.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Cookie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Cookie »

Hi all,

Many thanks for your replies. This is the only photo I have of my engine which isn’t the best but you can see I have no vac hoses into the air filter.

Also that plastic tube on the box is open and not blanked off.

When I replaced the air filter there appeared to be oil staining on the front where the inlet pipe goes in, will this be related to the fact there are no vac lines connected?

Buying new ones will not be a problem but I cannot see a diagram anywhere that shows where these are meant to be connected, other than photos of other engines. Can anyone say for sure where they connect to?

(I found the broken vac lines in the engine bay and have just pushed it in for now)

Kind regards

Cookie

1980 2.0 Aircooled Devon conversion
(Still learning the rest!)