photo of my CT engine for comments

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mona
80-90 Mem No: 17323

photo of my CT engine for comments

Post by Mona »

Hi All,

I have realised today that my engine is a CT not a CU as stated on the reg...although I think the seller advertised it as a 1986 1.6 come to think of it. The van is 1983 and the odometer is just over 17K, which I assumed to be 117K, but now I'm not so sure. Do you think the engine could be original and the documents are wrong?

Starts instantly but sounds quite noisy to my ears.  I am waiting for an MOT so haven't actually driven it yet.

I use LPG for my Jeep and was thinking about converting this, when I still thought it was a CU engine. Does anyone think the CT is suitable for conversion to LPG?

Thanks for any comments

Pete

1982 1.6 air cooled high top

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: photo of my CT engine for comments

Post by Mocki »

The ct will run just loverly on lpg , but I suspect you may struggle to get anyone to convert it , as the heating of the lpg by the exhaust probe method is now frowned upon, despite working very well, and being totally safe . 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Mona

Post by Mona »

Thanks for the advice. Would it be legal to convert to lpg with this method, if I manage to find someone willing to do it? 

Cecil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Cecil »

You may find the odometer doesn’t work once you get to drive it but i get the sense from that picture that the van has had an easy life.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Mona wrote:Thanks for the advice. Would it be legal to convert to lpg with this method, if I manage to find someone willing to do it? 
Yes, technically not illegal, but won't comply with CoP11 guidelines, so can't be certified as such. Your insurance company may not like that, and you hit the nail with finding someone willing to do it. The CT has the additional problem of a reversed and smaller silencer, so the usual long poker won't fit well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Post by dugcati »

ajsimmo wrote:
Mona wrote:Thanks for the advice. Would it be legal to convert to lpg with this method, if I manage to find someone willing to do it? 
Yes, technically not illegal, but won't comply with CoP11 guidelines, so can't be certified as such. Your insurance company may not like that, and you hit the nail with finding someone willing to do it. The CT has the additional problem of a reversed and smaller silencer, so the usual long poker won't fit well.

I had a 1776 CT I lpg'd and the way I managed to do the probe was by simply drilling the hole in the outside skin and then brute force breaking my way through the baffles in the silencer with a long chisel and hammer. Later on when I replaced the back box I went down the route of cutting a section (under/behind) of the back box skin away and then fitting the probe in a more refined manor and then re-welding the skin piece back on.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Post by dugcati »

Mona wrote:Hi All,

I have realised today that my engine is a CT not a CU as stated on the reg...although I think the seller advertised it as a 1986 1.6 come to think of it. The van is 1983 and the odometer is just over 17K, which I assumed to be 117K, but now I'm not so sure. Do you think the engine could be original and the documents are wrong?

Starts instantly but sounds quite noisy to my ears.  I am waiting for an MOT so haven't actually driven it yet.

I use LPG for my Jeep and was thinking about converting this, when I still thought it was a CU engine. Does anyone think the CT is suitable for conversion to LPG?

Thanks for any comments

Pete

Pete your CT installation looks completely as it should be, if its been swapped from a CU then who ever did it took a totally complete CT,, often things like the air intake in the right corner or the ignition loom are wrong /missing etc.

Maybe a previous owner changed the Logbook with the intention of going upto a CU but never did it?

It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

Mona

Post by Mona »

dugcati wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 07:00
ajsimmo wrote:
Mona wrote: Thanks for the advice. Would it be legal to convert to lpg with this method, if I manage to find someone willing to do it? 

I had a 1776 CT I lpg'd and the way I managed to do the probe was by simply drilling the hole in the outside skin and then brute force breaking my way through the baffles in the silencer with a long chisel and hammer. Later on when I replaced the back box I went down the route of cutting a section (under/behind) of the back box skin away and then fitting the probe in a more refined manor and then re-welding the skin piece back on.

Thanks for the info. Is that something that would be certified? I guess that is for the insurance.

Mona

Post by Mona »

This is the van idling. It hasn't been driven much in the last 18 months, I've been running it for 20 minutes once a week.

It sounds clattery to me, and the exhaust is rocking more than I remember on my T2. The oil has been changed every year for the last couple of years at least, with 1000-1500 added to the clock each year.

There is also a slight popping noise every so often which can be heard better in the van, sounds like a hesitation.

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

That is a nice and original CT installation. To double check, look to see if it is a mechanical cable operated clutch

The engine wobbling is probably due to a broken engine to crossbar rubber mount, (there are 4), parts available.

As far as the tappet clatter goes, best give it a good run of at least 50 miles.
If the clatter does not disappear, then the hydraulic tappets may need adjusting, which may get rid of the exhaust puff-puff.

The best way to judge the engine condition at a glance is, with the engine hot pull off the cranckase breather hose to the air cleaner,
there should be little or no air pressure.

Air-Cooled Bliss.. 8)

Cordialement,

:ok

Mona

Post by Mona »

sarran1955 wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 23:28 Hello,

That is a nice and original CT installation. To double check, look to see if it is a mechanical cable operated clutch

The engine wobbling is probably due to a broken engine to crossbar rubber mount, (there are 4), parts available.

As far as the tappet clatter goes, best give it a good run of at least 50 miles.
If the clatter does not disappear, then the hydraulic tappets may need adjusting, which may get rid of the exhaust puff-puff.

The best way to judge the engine condition at a glance is, with the engine hot pull off the cranckase breather hose to the air cleaner,
there should be little or no air pressure.

Air-Cooled Bliss.. 8)

Cordialement,

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look at the clutch cable and mounts. Giving it as run is problematic as it doesn't have an MOT at the moment. One of the things it has failed on in the past is emissions, so might have to take the long route to the MOT. 

Regarding the engine condition trick, is that with the engine on or off? 

Mona

Post by Mona »

dugcati wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 07:00
ajsimmo wrote:
Mona wrote: Thanks for the advice. Would it be legal to convert to lpg with this method, if I manage to find someone willing to do it? 

If I really wanted LPG, but couldn't do it myself, what would be the best way to do it? 

Mona

Post by Mona »

My engine is sounding a lot quieter since we fixed the loose oil sender pipe.

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Mona wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 09:14

Hello,
Have the engine warmed up and running..
Cordialement,

Mona

Post by Mona »

sarran1955 wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 20:08
Mona wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 09:14

Hello,
Have the engine warmed up and running..
Cordialement,

Hello,

Thanks for that.

Also, we tested the oil pressure, it was steady at around 3.5 bar - is that about right? 

It's running much quieter now, I can't tell if it is running sometimes!

Cheers

Pete