Temp gauge issues

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Wolfy

Temp gauge issues

Post by Wolfy »

I have had a look through the wiki and previous posts but couldn’t find what I’m after. Apologies If it’s been previously covered.

My temp gauge light flashes when I turn the ignition on, once I start the engine it goes out as normal. However after 20 mins of the engine running sat on the driveway and with the fan having come on and gone off the needle hasn’t moved at all.

I know it was moving a couple of months ago as I had a radiator leak and the needle shot up and the light flashed like mad. I’ve replaced the radiator and changed all the coolant.

Any help would be very welcome.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Temp gauge issues

Post by Mocki »

Very simple tests will tell you which part is at fault ....
however you haven’t told us what engine, what age , and what cooling system .

I will assume it’s late WBX 

first simple test .....
 unplug the temp gauge sender loom from the sender in the thermostat housing and bridge the two pins in the plug of the loom , the gauge should go immediately to the hot end of the gauge . 
if this happens it’s the sender . 

if not ,whilst the connections are bridged  check the connections in the black electrics box in the engine bay , and the engine bay earths ( top of lhs head and under coil ) , and if the gauge still doesn’t move , continue up the loom to the rear of the fuse box ,and take module 43/42 out of its holder and clean connections , and earth onto the earth crown , and continue  checking at every joint and onto the 14pin plug at the dash pod .

if none of this makes the gauge go up , replace module 43/42 .
at this point you will need to check the actual gauge . 

Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy »

Hi there,

Thanks for the great info.

It’s a 1985 1.9 water cooled. Forgive my ignorance but I’m not clued up on exact engines so I’m not sure what you mean by WBX.

I’ll try all the suggestions above and see how I get on.

Thanks again.

Andy.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

WBX = water Boxer 
water cooled petrol 

if you add your van details to your signature in your profile they will be on every post you make , and it will be quicker and easier .also if you add your approx location it will help with advising you who to go to should you need assistance or mechanics in your area . 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper