Shifter Rod adjustment

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: Shifter Rod adjustment

Post by slowcoach »

in the spririt of not starting new threads, when this is related to my existing one- here goes!

reverse, 2,3,4,5 gears work great and feel good.

1st gear works, and is easy to get into. BUT... at standstill, change into first and begin driving, and the gear stick visibly moves, and the forks below clearly slip off the shift guides in the shifter box below, making the stick jump back toward neutral, but just not totally.  the gearbox stays in 1st gear though and drives fine.  its just a bit, weird! sticking my head  up to the shift box (awkward!), i can see that the forks dont have much purchase on the front shift guide when in 1st.

so i dont believe the shifter forks grab onto the forward most shifter guide enough in 1st position.  as i say, all other things are behaving great so i dont want to go on further adjusting the rod.

ive got some new fork tips replace, but not done that yet.  didnt think the ally shift guides were very worn but ill look again. (might swap them over to see if the wear points change)

so what are these adjustments for?

(not my photo- james akers i believe! thankyou)

ALL reference to these slotted bolts (bently etc) just say rotate the plate into this position shown and tighten.  this would/could move the forks, but not necessarily forward or back.   what are they for? and when to use them? :?:

(all rod/link components renewed as in this thread, incl the shift bearing plate)

===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: Shifter Rod adjustment

Post by slowcoach »

new shifter fork tips did the trick, stays in 1st gear position now.  the new tips come with little soft aluminium pegs that go through the holes in the shifter forks- i had to ream out the holes with a 5.5mm drill to get the pegs through though, all stuck down with epoxy.

===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed