Air-cooled CU 2.0 engine replacement/refurbishment recommendations

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

asterix_the_gaul
80-90 Mem No: 16935

Air-cooled CU 2.0 engine replacement/refurbishment recommendations

Post by asterix_the_gaul »

So the 2.0 CU has finally been condemned.
It still runs and drives but bores are well worn and when hot it builds up excessive crankcase pressure pops the dipstick and leaks like a seive plus power down and hot idle gives oil light.

So I've done some checking of what my options are given any DIY is out of the question.
My tame mechanic is willing to drop and strip the ancillaries and suggests just getting a recon engine swop.
Prices today Inc vat come in at;
2.3k for a vege from JK (recon heads)
2.4k for one from the engine shop (new heads)
3k for SSP one from heritage parts (new heads)

Any other recommendations or or experience on which I should go for or avoid or any other options? Sending my own one out for a rebuild would be more or less expensive? I'm happy to wait some weeks but not months
Autohomes CI Kamper 2.0 CU air-cooled

hubcap61
80-90 Mem No: 16853

Re: Air-cooled CU 2.0 engine replacement/refurbishment recommendations

Post by hubcap61 »

Give Mick a call. He has a couple of engines. 07968367046
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-t25-airco ... SwVTdgKr-I
1984 Caravelle 1.9 DG 34 DAT
2002 Audi TT 225 BAM.

asterix_the_gaul
80-90 Mem No: 16935

Re: Air-cooled CU 2.0 engine replacement/refurbishment recommendations

Post by asterix_the_gaul »

Thanks, but I'm going for a refurbished engine as even though a second hand one might be a third of the price I don't want to be in the same position again miles down the line, I've already paid to have the engine pulled out once only a hundred miles ago to replace a popped RMS and frankly the engine should have been replaced at that point but I was told it was ok despite me pointing out the obvious issues to the expert and asking if a new engine was the right thing to do.

I have actually paid today for a refurbished engine so I'll report back to let you guys know how I got on and hopefully it's goes smoothly..

It's had a new clutch with the RMS but anything else I should factor in? I need a new fuel pump, I guess renew the lines while I'm about it?
Autohomes CI Kamper 2.0 CU air-cooled