Early Gear Linkage Reconnection - Shift Linkage Housing?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Enternent
80-90 Mem No: 0

Early Gear Linkage Reconnection - Shift Linkage Housing?

Post by Enternent »

ImageThe slop in the gear change finally drove me to go for a refurb.  As I have an early van with a 12mm gear stick, air cooled manual,  I selected the below parts I thought would help fix the problem from Brickwerks.  
What has thrown me now  when its all apart is my shift linkage housing  doesn’t look like the ones I can see on the guides to reconnect. Passenger side just has what looks like a piece of flat plastic and drivers side a folded metal gulley.

I have the the rear linkage split from the middle linkage and the gearstick disconnected ready for reconnection.  Can anyone please advise where I start .i.e to I put a bigger wedge in the box as it doesn’t have a guide on both sides. As I am a bit lost. Thanks

Enternent

Re: Early Gear Linkage Reconnection - Shift Linkage Housing?

Post by Enternent »

After some head scratching and I now have four forward gears plus a reverse again thankfully. I ask myself is it a tighter shift gate after spending over £130 on new parts, answer I don't think so.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

That's always deflating when nothing much changes, or even gets worse.

Have you checked over the linkage at the gearbox? The ball and socket on the selector lever is heavily worn on mine - you can grab it through the engine bay and look for play in that joint. While someone wiggles the gearstick if you like. I've got those parts to fit, just not the work space to do it at the moment :-\
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Dueller

Post by Dueller »

I had this problem too as the previous owner had snapped and welded the shifter on, still couldn't find gear for toffee

Think i spent £175 altogether including a short shift kit, i made my own shifter as the new one was too costly to me without having a go first, too used to Aircooled where its only a tenner for fixing both ends!

I've a Doka so access to the 10mm top nuts was an issue, drilled a hole and cut a slot for the other, put it in reverse before tightening and haven't looked back its very good. I also did the plastic fork covers and the billet guides, well worth it as i have no stick wobble at all

Still not perfect as have to double clutch for reverse sometimes so will adjust some more as my dogleg 1st gear has started to ping the lockout in neutral but not a priority right now, the engines coming out next

Its one of those jobs, will need finessing a little more yet
1989 Crewcab 1600TD JX - Gone to Romania
1989 Caravelle 1.9 AutoBox