Engine tinware refurbishment

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Phil D
80-90 Mem No: 17306

Engine tinware refurbishment

Post by Phil D »

New to all things Aircooled and not sure how hot the tinware gets. I am refurbishing mine and after wire brushing with a grinder and treating the rust wondering what paint to use. Initialy thought if using hammerite but not sure if this would stand the heat and wonder if i might need to use engine paint or barbecue paint, any thoughts?
1981 VW T25 Westfalia Joker camper 2.0l Aircooled 4 speed
Rust never sleeps :|

2016 VW T6 Calivelle 204PS DSG

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Re: Engine tinware refurbishment

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

I use genuine Hammerite, 2 coats thinned 5% with genuine thinners. 1 litre of black and 1/2 litre of silver Hammer finish

Either by HVLP spray, or by brush and then stippled.

All the tinware black, the outer part of the heat exchangers and the top of the crankcase in silver.

For the hot spots and exhaust I use high temperature lacquer.

Do not paint the inlet manifolds.. :!: :!:

Tap out all the threads on the tinware to clean (M6x1.0) after painting, use new socket caps 10 and 20 mm with close washers.

This will give you the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0rYAwK5vCc&t=473s

Air-Cooled Bliss.. :ok

Phil D
80-90 Mem No: 17306

Re: Engine tinware refurbishment

Post by Phil D »

Thanks for this info, i watched the video and was interested in your cool start approach of abandoning the thermostat. My campervan will not see much use in winter and thermostats are unobtainable so worth considering. I have lots of bits of tinware missing, i think i have all the top tins and the oil cooler tins but none of the lower tins! Also noted you use of flexi duct to link the heater fan to the heat exchangers. Sorting out the heating is another job on the list but is going to get expensive as i need heat exhangers, j tubes, heater flap boxes and cables and flexi ductwork (insulated if poss) where did you get yours?
1981 VW T25 Westfalia Joker camper 2.0l Aircooled 4 speed
Rust never sleeps :|

2016 VW T6 Calivelle 204PS DSG