Starter Motor Noise

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Elsaetka
80-90 Mem No: 2639

Starter Motor Noise

Post by Elsaetka »

Hi

Would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has experienced the following.

My 1.9 1990 DG would not turn over a few days ago, the starter had failed so I fitted a new one, it then started without a problem,  up to that point there were no issues whatsoever.

Over the next few days I noticed that when I turn it over to get going there is an intermittent noise from the starter as it turns over, where basically it sounds really rough / gritty / grindy if you catch my meaning. It is definitely not every start up, probably about one in 5.

I appreciate the brass bush in the box is a common fault but I would have thought if that was worn out it would be rough every time.  I wondered if the ring-gear teeth on the flywheel ever wear out?  Although up to the point of the old motor failing, it was smooth as silk.

Any feedback from someone who has experienced the same problem would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Starter Motor Noise

Post by R0B »

You did change the bush, didn't you?
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Elsaetka

Post by Elsaetka »

Yes I changed the bush, stood it in oil prior to installation as guide states. I'm going to have to re-visit the whole thing again to see if I can spot anything.  Strange how the fault is intermittent.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

where did the new starter come from ? was it new genuine Bosch or pattern Chinese, used, fully refurbished by someone who knows what they are doing or 'refurbished' by a bunch of chancers who clean them and paint them black and stick a hella sticker on them ?

Elsaetka

Post by Elsaetka »

Thanks for the responses,  the factors I bought it from have a good reputation and it certainly did'nt look like a poor part, but of course you never know.  I needed to get it running ASAP.

Looking at the feedback and other posts I think the best plan is to take it back out and check over again, even if it means putting another new bush in.  If it still does it I will bite the bullet and get a high grade Bosch starter and pop that in,  I reckon that route is bound to cure it.  As  was saying, it was perfect and smooth until the point that the old motor failed.

Cheers.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Elsaetka wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 09:02 Thanks for the responses,  the factors I bought it from have a good reputation and it certainly did'nt look like a poor part, but of course you never know.  I needed to get it running ASAP.

Looking at the feedback and other posts I think the best plan is to take it back out and check over again, even if it means putting another new bush in.  If it still does it I will bite the bullet and get a high grade Bosch starter and pop that in,  I reckon that route is bound to cure it.  As  was saying, it was perfect and smooth until the point that the old motor failed.

Cheers.

How much did you pay for it , did you exchange your old one against it ?

Elsaetka

Post by Elsaetka »

Sure I paid about £100 for it, wasn't exchange, old one had completely failed meaning I was off the road.

SurfT25
80-90 Mem No: 17059

Post by SurfT25 »

In the 80,s on a Saturday I used to earn my pocket money by labouring at an auto electricians.

There used to be a pile of starter motors that had to be reconditioned .

Most of the time it was to dismantle, put centre piece on lathe. Trim copper flat then scrape out glue between copper with bit of hacksaw blade (keeps brushes connected not jumping) . Solder / connect new brushes new bronze bush, clean up and reassemble. New shooting teeth bit, (if worn)done.
The way to test was it was put it tight in a vice, connect negative to body and touch positive to connection at back.
One almighty kick ( rember ,this can make your bus move when in gear so please be careful) shows it's working.

Good luck
Prepare for the worst but hope for the best

1984 1.9 DG WBX Autohomes hightop