Physics or Geometry

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Physics or Geometry

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Due to limited space in front of my garage when I park my camper off road it is not completely even due to a gradient on one side, the offside front wheel therefore sits about six inches lower than the nearside front wheel therefore appearing to stress/stretch the spring on that side i.e. larger gap between the tyre and wheel arch than the other side.  To try and remedy this I thought placing and driving up onto a Flamma ramp on the nearside front would compensate for this would level out the gaps, not the case.  I then placed the ramp on the offside rear this then evened out the van, nuisance as I have to remove and replace each time I park up, am I wasting my time doing this or is it good practice.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Re: Physics or Geometry

Post by Mr Bean »

Yes I too have a gentle slope where  keep my van on my drive or on the road outside - just enough to stop the fridge working and make the van unsuitable for comfortable overnight guest sleeping. I also find it a faff to use the plastic ramps etc. for levelling when camping as 
Mrs Bean gets into a flap when I ask her to see me onto ramps and blocks bless her cotton socks :roll: :).

So I have schemed up several designs for low profile jacking systems basically comprising a rectangular panels of no more than say a 30mm flat which could be erected  :oops: by a jack screw, compressed air or an electric motor once I have driven onto it/them. While intrigued to solid model and build such device I currently have not got round to it.

However in your case might I suggest a single custom wooden ramp which could be placed in front of the miscreant wheel on the last knockings of the parking process which light enough for easy maneuvering/handling and fitted with a thin layer of foam on the bottom to prevent spitting out and a bar at the back to stop dropping off the back.  
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Physics or Geometry

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Yes it is a bit of a pain placing the plastic ramp every time I park on the drive, the problem is that three wheels are on the slope, the fourth (offside front) is on a slight slope in the opposite direction of the others, so I have to drive up onto a plastic ramp on the rear near side wheel which allows the offside front to become more even and not stress the suspension on that side. I could get all four wheels on the same slope but this then blocks access to the garage as I only have a small space in front of it.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX