Jx injection pump alignment

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

steveo9007
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16902

Re: Jx injection pump alignment

Post by steveo9007 »

Had this exact same problem, my belt started to shred on one side
when i replaced the belt it started to wonder and come close to the edge again, this was only when i  was hand cranking to check all was aligned, i found the problem and it was the brass bushes inside the shaft of the injection pump, i was going to renew them as you can buy them from www.injectionpumps.co.uk

However when i stripped down the injection pump the inside of it has started rusting out on all parts,
so in the end i managed to pick up a refurbed pump from someone selling on a facebook page,
Bottom one is the refurbed one so i fitted that one and all was good when i set up the cam belt and hand cranked it, no more wondering across the injection pump pulley. Here it is running.

I know its not a JX setup but the principle is the same.

1985 RHD Pop Top Autosleeper, 1.7D KY Engine 4 Speed ALD Gearbox (Bertie)

Joelbtdavies
80-90 Mem No: 17409

Post by Joelbtdavies »

Hi, I have a very similar (seemingly identical) problem with my injection pump alignment causing the timing belt to be slightly off centre. It is maybe 1 or 2mm off but has started to rub on the belt cover and wear down.
The belt tension was perhaps slightly too tight so I did slacken it so that it is now correct. However the belt still walked back to slightly protruding after turning the engine a few times. I seem to have stopped it rubbing by cutting a slight grove into the plastic cover. The belt no longer walks and stays in the same place without rubbing.

My question is: Can I put off replacing the belt and starting to realign the fuel pump? It seems to be working fine as is and I'm making regular inspection of the belt to ensure it isn't moving further or wearing down anymore. About to go honeymooning in the van and don't have time to go about this job right now.... The van will then be off the road all winter and I intend to fix this problem fully in the spring.
1982 T25 1.6 JX with early style 4-Speed 
Forgive my silly questions.

steveo9007
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16902

Post by steveo9007 »

Guess its about taking your chances and that once lined up for timing and you go on your honeymoon that it doesnt wander off to much along the way, and causing even more damage when it eventually either breaks or slips the timing and then your looking at possible pistons and valves smashing in to each other. :cry:
1985 RHD Pop Top Autosleeper, 1.7D KY Engine 4 Speed ALD Gearbox (Bertie)