Exhausts and MOT

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ToolkiT73
80-90 Mem No: 0

Exhausts and MOT

Post by ToolkiT73 »

my T25 failed the MOT due to rust on exhaust..
only rust I could find was on the last bend (after the silencer)
https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5FA3961F
I've managed to cut the offending bit off with an angle grinder, but the bolts are putting up a fight..

I was wondering, in order to get the van on the road asap, do I actually need that last bend for the MOT?
the sound muffling part is still there  and the gasses would not go into the cabin as the exit is right next to the rear bumper just pointing sideways instead of backwards..
This way at least I can get it on the road again and think about my options (replace just this bend or go stainless all the way (£££))..

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Re: Exhausts and MOT

Post by syncroandy »

The information on your fail certificate plus a conversation with the tester should answer your question.

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

ToolkiT73
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by ToolkiT73 »

syncroandy wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 11:31 The information on your fail certificate plus a conversation with the tester should answer your question.

The certificate says:
6.1.2 (a)
(a) Exhaust system has a major leak or is insecure
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... tion-6-1-2

To be honest I dont think having a chat with the tester will help as he seems to have a strong antipathy against older vehicles and in particular campervans..
He was clearly nitpicking this time.. for example one of the items he found was 1.1.12 (b) (ii) (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... ion-1-1-12) and I checked the brakehose and while it old I could not find a single crack etc.. I suspect he noticed that I replaced the other side and not this one so picked up on that..
The hose will be replaced as a precaution anyway (slowly working through all the rubber components as after 30years they should be replaced imho) but it shows how picky this guy is..

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Assuming you plan to take it back for a retest after doing some repairs, I think your simplest course is to establish what exactly the tester thinks should be fixed.

From the state of your tailpipe it would not surpise me if there was a leak or other problem with the rest of the exhaust system. Maybe you should re-evaluate it. Regarding the brake hose, it could show cracking, bulging or have sharp edges on the ferrule due to corrosion. In my experience any of these can develop within ~10 years of fitting, so if yours have been on the the van 30 years, count yourself lucky and get them all changed.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004