Fitting new brake discs

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

NathanW
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fitting new brake discs

Post by NathanW »

Hi all, I need to fit new discs to my camper due to one being warped and giving me a juddering brake pedal. I’ve never done anything like this before but really want to do everything on this van myself.

So far I’ve got the discs, pads, wheel bearings. Is there anything else I should be changing at the same time(callipers are new)? Or any tools I could get that would make this easier?

Thanks for looking.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Fitting new brake discs

Post by colinthefox »

Take a look at the back plates. If they are in poor condition, it's the ideal opportunity to replace them while you've got everything off. Also check that the small square drive hole for the speedo cable in the nearside bearing cap is still nice and square. If it is worn and won't grip the speedo cable properly, the hole can be repaired.

There's an oil seal that will need replacing, but I think that comes in the bearing kit.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

NathanW

Post by NathanW »

colinthefox wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 08:44 Take a look at the back plates. If they are in poor condition, it's the ideal opportunity to replace them while you've got everything off. Also check that the small square drive hole for the speedo cable in the nearside bearing cap is still nice and square. If it is worn and won't grip the speedo cable properly, the hole can be repaired.

There's an oil seal that will need replacing, but I think that comes in the bearing kit.

Thanks! I totally forgot about the back plates. They are looking a bit worse for wear so I’ll get some on order. Will keep an eye out on the Speedo cable hole. I guessing there’s a problem with it as the Speedo needle flickers a bit on speeds up to 30mph, wasn’t sure if that was the discs causing it.

jamesakers
80-90 Mem No: 14421

Post by jamesakers »

Get two new front hub nuts as they shouldn't be reused. Part number 251407671.
Sir Adventure - 1991 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9DG Petrol
https://vwt25.blog/

NathanW

Post by NathanW »

jamesakers wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 18:23 Get two new front hub nuts as they shouldn't be reused. Part number 251407671.

Thank you, will do 👍🏻

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

NathanW wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 19:00
jamesakers wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 18:23 Get two new front hub nuts as they shouldn't be reused. Part number 251407671.

Thank you, will do 👍🏻
You shouldn't re-use them on the same side, but if you swap the hub nuts over to the other side, you can [E D I T]usually[/E D I T] re-use them as the peening should be in a different place.

1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

NathanW

Post by NathanW »

colinthefox wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 19:26
NathanW wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 19:00

Thank you, will do 👍🏻
You shouldn't re-use them on the same side, but if you swap the hub nuts over to the other side, you can [E D I T]usually[/E D I T] re-use them as the peening should be in a different place.

Ok will bear in mind for the future. I’ve just checked and the wheel bearing sets I’ve bought come with the hub nuts so all covered 👍🏻

aknapper

Post by aknapper »

I did the front disc protectors and rear back plates in August as the front had rotted away and the back were very rusty.  Right pain to get off until I bought an impact wrench from Screwfix.  I did zinc rust protect and then repaint the disc protectors to give them as long as chance as possible to last.
I had to replace the front calipers because the bleeder valves were rotted away, so have a look at yours.  New calipers from BW or HP.
But replacing the calipers meant getting the small brake pipes off...which I couldn't so had to replace those as well.
And since I was in renewal mode, I replaced all the flexis with new stainless steel ones.  Just be careful not to twist the copper brake pipes otherwise you'll have to replace them back to the t-pieces (speaking from experience... :shock: )
Hopefully your brake pads are fine - mine were fine as well as my discs.
It's not a hard job to remove the discs.  Replacing bearings likewise although you need to get a lot of grease into them.  Lots of instructional videos on line to help build confidence.  Good luck!
1987 Komet Hightop DG

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

NathanW wrote: guessing there’s a problem with it as the Speedo needle flickers a bit on speeds up to 30mph, wasn’t sure if that was the discs causing it.

Nope, that's a 'feature' of the van, letting you know you're on the right side of the law Image they all do it as far as I can gather..

===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed