Coolant expansion tank completely empty.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Coolant expansion tank completely empty.

Post by TONYT25T25 »

R0B wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 16:49 Its not needed fella. Just leave it off.
Thanks, been there since I bought the van.

1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Gingermagic
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Gingermagic »

The garage added that clip after one of our first journeys, where I found that the pipe was not connected to the dalek cap.

I have no idea how long it had been disconnected, but I assume that's how I lost all of the coolant.
1985 RHD T25 camper
1.6TD - JX (I think)

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

That is no doubt how you lost your coolant. But you do not need that clip on there.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Gingermagic

Post by Gingermagic »

R0B wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 17:30 That is no doubt how you lost your coolant. But you do not need that clip on there.
But when the clip wasn't there, the pipe came off.

Maybe the clip is just an extra layer of insurance, but I don't want it popping off again. :-)
1985 RHD T25 camper
1.6TD - JX (I think)

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Buy a smaller diameter piece of pipe because you obviously have the wrong one on there to begin with.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Hmm, I'm getting worried.

Man takes van in for a coolant problem, garage responds with a fuel system problem

Money spent, original problem remains :roll:
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

And it's a JX.
Well, the pump is (horizontal LDA), so most likely a 1.6TD, as it probably had from the factory.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

I know nothing about agricultural ​​​​​​ diesel engines ,  but I think a different garage would be a good move .
the pipe from the blue "Darlek " cap is under no pressure what so ever, but must be water tight . It is not designed to have a clip on it , but the pipe must be the correct size to fit and form a watertight connection without falling off . 
I have clear silicon pipe on mine , mostly because that is what I could lay my hands on at the time it needed replacing , the braided rubber pipe is ok, but you cannot see the rubber perishing ans therefore leaking . 

Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

clone123

Post by clone123 »

ajsimmo wrote:And it's a JX.
Well, the pump is (horizontal LDA), so most likely a 1.6TD, as it probably had from the factory.

I would agree and a common fault with this engine is the head mine engine was reconditioned a few years before I got it and the head had gone on it when I got it so I replace the engine with the 1Y cheap for me as I did all the labour myself so just keep an eye on the water levels and for white smoke coming out the exhaust because mine was leaking into the exhaust and evaporating as steam so you couldn't see no leaks

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

1985 RHD T25 hightop camper 1.9td 1Y engine
It's always easier with a friend

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Any news ?

Gingermagic

Post by Gingermagic »

Yes, we had an eventful first trip. :-)

The garage
We got the van back on Tuesday.
I couldn't go, so my wife picked it up and had the subsequent conversation with them.
I was disappointed to see that the coolant level in the engine bay (not the one behind the licence plate) was a couple of inches below the top.
My wife called them about this, and they had done it deliberately. They said that the system had been pressure tested and that the coolant in that inner container should be half full, to allow room for the water to expand.
I think that you guys know what you're talking about more than a generalist garage, so I think I'll be taking the van somewhere else in future.

The injector pipes have been replaced. That seems to have addressed the leak.

With regard to the dark smoke, that the exhaust pumps out, the garage believe that it's down to a fault on the injection pump. They believe that it's the old original pump and it's heading towards needing replacing. They said that it's fine to drive until it does need replacing, and told my wife that it's an expensive job when it needs doing (pump alone £200 - £1,000).

The garage were also told about a new issue where I could feel that the engine was over revving on idle, until I touched the accelerator, then it went back down. The initially assumed that this was down to a cable, but in the end have said that this is also down to the pump.

The trip
We had a night away on Thursday. Only about an hour and a half away from the house.
Before the trip, I checked both coolant levels (leaving the inner one as the garage had left it) and all seemed fine.
On the motorway, we were happily driving along until we got flashed and eagerly told to pull over to the hard shoulder.
When I took a look around the back, there was a fast dripping/stream of liquid and some smoke.
As the Injector pipes had just been changed, I thought the worse and thought that this could be diesel. However, it became clear that the liquid was coolant, coming out of the top of the rear (behind licence plate) container.
I released the lid of the rear coolant and LOTS of liquid came out. I put the cap back on and wasn't sure if I should let more coolant out or not. However, as the coolant was obviously busting out of the rear container, I decided to let it come out. Lots came out and I let it settle back down to the 'max' level.
For the rest of the journey, we kept an eye on the temperature gauge and pulled in to a service station once, to check the level again (with the engine still running). All seemed fine.
The trip home on Friday was all OK too.

Next?
My uneducated best guess is that they didn't bleed the radiator when they did the coolant. I'm wondering if that left lots of air in the system and that air, once hot, was the cause of the overflow of liquid. I can't think why else it would have happened. The levels seemed fine before the trip, and if anything, the inner container was too low. Is there another reason why the van suddenly had way too coolant?

If I'm right, then I intend to buy some of my own coolant (G12+ or G12++) and do the whole radiator bleeding process again.

Regarding the smoke, i should probably start a new thread, but does their injector pump suggestion sound correct?
1985 RHD T25 camper
1.6TD - JX (I think)

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Hmmm... again

The coolant system works under pressure. You (given your current knowledge) should not remove either of the caps when the engine is running or hot. It is normal in those circumstances for a lot of hot coolant to come out.

The header tank needs to be full to the brim

Top up tank on full when cold

Top up with water for now and take it for a run to get up to temperature, then let it idle when hot for 20 minutes and watch what is happening

Watch for leaks, take a photo of where they are from if you can, and report back

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

I wouldn't waste money on G12+ or any special antifreeze. Just your cheap generic bluecol will do, as it's a diesel. It's only the petrol engines (WBXs) that need special coolant.

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Sorry to see that problem still remains, I think you maybe correct that the system has not been bled properly, also if they only half filled or partially filled the tank, then the red light on your dash should have been flashing indicating this I presume this is the same for diesels.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Didn't spot that they changed the coolant.

Don't mix types, if it's blue, then blue, if it's pink then pink

You don't want to be making jelly