Coolant expansion tank completely empty.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: Coolant expansion tank completely empty.

Post by jrt »

I would bleed the radiator a few times. I just carefully placed a weight on the accelerator pedal when i did mine on my own. Bled it via the Baxter method in the wiki and took it for a few trips and stopped a few times to let any more air out. You need a new cap though too.
David.
the future is unwritten

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Any signs of coolant deposits anywhere...pink/ white/ blue crystallised deposits? Sometimes these can be hard to spot.
David.
the future is unwritten

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I have a known leak on mine as reported on an earlier post so I just keep an eye the area until I can repair for good.  What I do on known journeys I take is to take note and remember laybys on my the way so I can pull over if needed this helps if a problem does crop up I know how far it is to the next pullover instead of just stopping and blocking the road, I have seen so many cars/vehicles who have blocked the lane with the hood up a short distance before the next rest stop/layby.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Gingermagic
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Gingermagic »

Just ordered a replacement cap from Brickwerks.

I'll go on the trip tomorrow and do as much refilling and bleeding as I can before then.

Thanks all,
Damian
1985 RHD T25 camper
1.6TD - JX (I think)

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Don't remove the cap on the header tank when the coolant is hot though....... it's supposed to be at pressure, which prevents the coolant from boiling.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Gingermagic

Post by Gingermagic »

The van survived the trip! :-)

No overheating and no flashing light.

On the morning that we were due to return (engine completely cool) I took a look inside. Interestingly, the tank in the engine compartment was down just a couple of centimetres, but the tank behind the licence plate had gone down quite a bit too. I guess trying to clean the dalek cap had worked to some extent, but I'll still be replacing it once the new one arrives.

I tried to remove the dalek cap, just as soon as I started unscrewing it, the air came out and the water/coolant started coming out of the top. The more I unscrewed, the quicker it came out. So, as I'd only be filling the tank to the top anyway, I decided to simply tighten it back up.

Then I filled the tank behind the licence plate.

One other thing to mention is that the farm owner told me that he could see dripping from underneath the van. So, I'm guessing that I've got a leak somewhere. Grrr. Bloody old vehicles! :-)
1985 RHD T25 camper
1.6TD - JX (I think)

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

You may not have a leak, because the top up tank has three small holes right at the very top , so it may have been coming from there ... 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

TONYT25T25

Post by TONYT25T25 »

When I remove my Dalek cap just to check levels, it is always full to the brim but does not spill over when cold as you mentioned on yours, could there be another issue here or is this normal even for a cold engine.

Gingermagic

Post by Gingermagic »

Mocki wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 16:05 You may not have a leak, because the top up tank has three small holes right at the very top , so it may have been coming from there ...
Thanks. I'll take a look.
1985 RHD T25 camper
1.6TD - JX (I think)

Gingermagic

Post by Gingermagic »

TONYT25T25 wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 18:17 When I remove my Dalek cap just to check levels, it is always full to the brim but does not spill over when cold as you mentioned on yours, could there be another issue here or is this normal even for a cold engine.

Maybe it's because the dalek cap isn't working correctly? I'll see how it all seems once I've replaced it.

I've also ordered a one way valve to help me to bleed the system on my own, as seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eug3jfkobPo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4oAfxfZR90
1985 RHD T25 camper
1.6TD - JX (I think)

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Gingermagic wrote: On the morning that we were due to return (engine completely cool)...

I tried to remove the dalek cap, just as soon as I started unscrewing it, the air came out and the water/coolant started coming out of the top.

Assuming at the beginning the main tank was full to the brim and the overflow tank was primed at least up to the "min" mark, this is the key clue in the conundrum.
In a whole heat cycle from cold back to cold, there is more pressure at the end than the beginning. Also some fluid has been displaced by gas. This means gas has been introduced into the system, and as it's only been under positive pressure (relative to atmosphere) throughout the cycle (and still is when returned to cold), that gas must have been introduced under greater pressure. Or, in simple terms, your head gasket's gone. Sorry to bring bad news.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Gingermagic

Post by Gingermagic »

ajsimmo wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 07:03 Or, in simple terms, your head gasket's gone. Sorry to bring bad news.

Really???

I’ve been driving it around fine since all of this started. The engine was replaced Shortly before we bought the van.

Is that the only conclusion? Should I continue to bleed the system when I get the new dalek cap etc?

I don’t even know what a head gasket is to be honest, but it sounds bad. Are there any checks that I can do?
1985 RHD T25 camper
1.6TD - JX (I think)

TONYT25T25

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I thought it may have been that as described by Ginger but was not sure,  a garage can do a simple test to find out if there is any gas in the coolant system. The head gasket sits between the engine block and cylinder heads, seals the cylinders for max compression and avoid the leakage of oil and coolant into the cylinders. I thought I would add, check the oil filler plug for white/milky substances if so this could be another indication of head gasket failure.

[font]http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Pe ... _head_leak[/font]

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

ajsimmo wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 07:03 This means gas has been introduced into the system, and as it's only been under positive pressure (relative to atmosphere) throughout the cycle (and still is when returned to cold), that gas must have been introduced under greater pressure. Or, in simple terms, your head gasket's gone. Sorry to bring bad news.

Agreed

Hence my early comment about 1.8 litres being rather a lot to have to put in.

One can only hope that there is a minor leak somewhere, which is why running the van for a few days keeping a close eye on water levels, hot and completely cold, is a worthwhile approach, with the new Dalek cap in place.

Just reread the quote before Andrews response. No leak, head gasket is gone
Last edited by 937carrera on 28 Sep 2020, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Gingermagic

Post by Gingermagic »

TONYT25T25 wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 08:16 I thought I would add, check the oil filler plug for white/milky substances if so this could be another indication of head gasket failure.

Thanks Tony,

Excuse my ignorance, but where is the 'Oil Filter Plug'?

I'll check it and photograph it once I know where it is.

Cheers,
Damian
1985 RHD T25 camper
1.6TD - JX (I think)