T25 1.6D CS Losing Power, New parts Fitted

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wagonheart
80-90 Mem No: 17095

T25 1.6D CS Losing Power, New parts Fitted

Post by wagonheart »

Had a known fuel pump issue when purchased, replaced fuel pump and it was running nicely, got about 2500 miles out of it and started having a similar issue. Replaced injectors as one was leaky, return hose had a hole so replaced engine end of fuel lines, also replaced the cooling hoses, serviced etc. but still not getting any/losing power (I'd say in the higher end of revs), idling really low and cutting out at a stop and under braking.

as I type I realise I haven't put a new fuel filter on, could this be my all/part of the issue?

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: T25 1.6D CS Losing Power, New parts Fitted

Post by colinthefox »

Fuel filter could be at fault, in which case it'll be full of rubbish. You could cut the old one open to see what's in it. If it's full of full of carp, then that's coming from the fuel tank, so there would be the source of the problem.

Are there bubbles in the (normally transparent) fuel line between the filter and pump? If so that might cause the same sort of problem.

1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

wagonheart

Post by wagonheart »

there is what looks like a non return valve (clear) just before the pump, after the filter, and the fuel does look bubbly in there If i remember correctly

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

Bubbles in the fuel = air being sucked in from a slight leak of air inwards between the pump and tank. This is made worse by a dirty filter as the pump has to suck harder to get fuel through the filter.

The injection pump can stand a small amount of bubbles, and they self bleed out of the return. Too many bubbles, and the pump won't inject properly.

The system shouldn't need a non return valve. It might even be the source of the leak. Leaks won't show up as this part is never under positive pressure.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

wagonheart

Post by wagonheart »

Thanks for the replies,

was a few things it turns out, fuel filter was a start, but pump needed retiming, and injector pipes were leaky, fortunately had new pipes sitting around, was avoiding needing to change those.
But she’s running nicely now