Fuel Quality and Knackered In Line Injection Pump..Again

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Fuel Quality and Knackered In Line Injection Pump..Again

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hi all

So, 5th or 6th knackered in line injection pump in 6 years now. Driving me mad. Had cheapo ones initially but has killed 3 bosch ones now in just over a year, even though van is only used at weekends too with a brickwerks injection tank thats around three tears old.

So a friend of mine mentioned the fuel quality where I go may have been a contributor in several people having issues with their fuel systems. Modern vehicles generally have the fuel pump in the tank so all the crud generally stays at the bottom whereas it all gets sucked through an inline pump before going through the filter. I cut open my six month old fuel filter to be presented with this...

As you can see its pretty bad. When I rub the sludge between my fingers it is a bit gritty which would explain why the inline pumps keep seizing.

So I am going to lodge a complaint with the fuel provider however I am now thinking a fuel filter before as well as after the new pump would be a good idea. Anyone else done this? My vans reliability would be excellent if it wasnt for these constant fuel pump woes. Thanks
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Re: Fuel Quality and Knackered In Line Injection Pump..Again

Post by tobydog »

I think you should have the filter before the pump.......

Can you prove that you buy all your fuel from the one source?
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

Have receipts, guy in the petrol station sees me there a lot, only use that particular company for fuel as they are cheapest on the Isle of Man which may now explain my issues.

Was worried about pump cavitation but it appears that is the least of my problems looking at the fuel filter.
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Filter should go on before the pump to my knowledge.. maybe that's why your pump/s are getting knackered as well
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

The filter looks like containing an emulsified rusty sludge.  Could it be caused by a damp atmosphere combined with a hygroscopic alcohol rich fuel soaking up moisture due to lack of throughput?

Or, your fuel supply source is selling a very water contaminated product?
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

Davegrohl99
80-90 Mem No: 16802

Post by Davegrohl99 »

Is this a petrol or diesel. Cant believe how much crud is in that in 6 months. I usually change my fuel filter at 6 months. Its before the pump just after the tank. There does be a few bits of rust particles gathered in the filter by month 5.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1981 Westfalia 2.0 CU engine.
1971 Early Bay Microbus.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

fuel injection tank has a filter in it to protect the pump and then a finer filter after the pump to protect the injectors, it's possible that maybe your tank is rusty and/or isn't a proper fuel injection tank with the internal filter or the breathers and balance pipework are compromised
If the breather and associated pipework on the tank are not perfect then air will be continually getting into the tank along with moisture in the air and that condenses on the inside of the tank which then rusts and the moisture goes sludgy, particularly in a marine environment where there is salt in the air
But it could be the fuel station has a water ingress into it's tank, poor hygiene, poor filtration etc..
Given that all the fuel is imported onto the Island there can't be that many sources of the actual fuel onto the Island, if you have concerns then I would check with Manx Petroleum that they are supplying you fuel station and if they are maybe raise your concerns with them if the station owner won't face up to an issue
change your fuel station and try running decent fuel, the extra cost of putting ShellMax in has got to be better than ruining the pumps and filters and potentially your injectors and may improve the mpg anyway