Leaking pushrod tube leads to no compression?!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pi quattro
80-90 Mem No: 10730

Leaking pushrod tube leads to no compression?!

Post by pi quattro »

Ok I had a slight oil leak from pushrod tubes so decided to fix that. I will detail the process in the hope that someone figures out why my van is now goosed!!
 I took the rockers off, found that one rocker mounting bracket was broke so replaced that. Buttoned it all up, didn’t think I needed to adjust screws on rocker as it was straight off and on. Turned over by hand felt resistance and there was a twang and things moved. I did sound more like a spring seating to be honest. (I hoped it wasn’t a valve) Wouldn’t start. Suspected dizzy as it looked rough, replaced with new. Still won’t start. Took rockers off again to check the rods were seated correctly. This time I adjusted them all as per haynes etc, (just touching then 2 further turns) found some of them difficult in that the actual rocker seemed to be touching the top of the spring. Screws wound all the way out and back in one was almost all the way in? Still won’t start. Did a compression test cylinder 4 (rear left if standing at back of van)was good (155) the rest were all zero!!!!! where do I go from here? Followed the procedures for setting the adjusters bunt it didn’t work. 
1985 autosleeper high top. 1.9 petrol

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: Leaking pushrod tube leads to no compression?!

Post by ajsimmo »

i) Make sure all pushrods are sat in lifters properly, looking down tube with a torch (or using endoscope camera).
ii) Back all adjusters off to just touching & test compression. Should all be back up.
iii) Start engine and check all running smoothly.
iv) Adjust tappets to 1/2 turn in and run engine until oil is warm.
v) adjust to 1.5 turns and run again. If lacking compression leave overnight and retest. Once running well leave at that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran