New distributor cap and arm - stalling when hot

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

adrianbutter
80-90 Mem No: 1

New distributor cap and arm - stalling when hot

Post by adrianbutter »

Just wanted to post after my breakdown two weeks ago.  A few stalls over a couple of days after starting (immediately) and then a cut out within 1/2 mile of starting hot as I drove up an incline high street - tricky roll back parallel park....

Read lots on here, and used it as a chance to buy my growing box of emergency must haves on board - from clutch cylinder to coil.  I couldn't re-create the problem. It was 30 degrees plus that day above, so maybe I have not fixed it, but the cap and arm looked a bit coked up and scratched up, and Haynes recommend changing every year - they are cheap after all.  Mine had been fitted new with the engine 18,000 miles ago. I got a Beku from Brickwerks.
Just been to Exmoor and back, no issues.  Fingers crossed it was just a simple replace.

Meanwhile, I have a coil, Halls Sender, Ignition chip (bulkhead thing) as spares.  And a good petrol pump, the one I have looks cheap.
Ade
T25 1985 DG 1.9 (early case)

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: New distributor cap and arm - stalling when hot

Post by Mocki »

Fingers crossed you have solved it 

I would add 
Ignition switch 
Throttle cable
fuel filter 
water pump 
alternator belt 
to your carry everywhere list , because , even if you can’t fit , you have the parts . The breakdown services and garages are good, but they just don’t carry parts for our vans 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

adrianbutter
80-90 Mem No: 1

Re: New distributor cap and arm - stalling when hot

Post by adrianbutter »

Thank you.  I'll add the belt and water pump. Great suggestion

I have a filter and fuel lines set - tick! I've had the throttle cable in the cupboard for 100,000 miles - do you think I'll ever need it?  lol  one day hey?

Ade
T25 1985 DG 1.9 (early case)