Drive shaft seal major leak

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Paul773car
80-90 Mem No: 17371

Drive shaft seal major leak

Post by Paul773car »

Hi all. After a long run out earlier in the week I parked the van up on the drive. Yesterday I noticed she's leaking oil, gearbox oil and a lot of it. I put a basin under the leak and overnight I have about 1/2 pint of gearbox oil in it. Its coming from between the driveshaft and the gearbox. I have ordered a drive flange seal from brickwerks but I'm concerned by the scale of the oil loss that it might be more serious than just a seal? Anyone had this before? Is there anything I should be checking while I've got it apart? Just seems odd that it didn't leak at all and now its pouring out. I would have thought it would have been more of a gradual increase in oil loss if the seal had gone.

Paul773car

Re: Drive shaft seal major leak

Post by Paul773car »

Well I have replaced the seal. It did look a bit knackered. Gone for a quick drive and no leak so far. If it comes back then I'll be back for more help. Not a bad job even under the van on stands. Impact driver was worth its weight in gold though getting the cover bolts off.

Paul773car

Post by Paul773car »

Couple of weeks later and still no leak so all good.

So surprised the seal went from OK to a sieve pretty much overnight but that's obviously how they go. Just thought I'd add an update incase anyone else has the same and is worried.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

had the internal gaiter spring on the seal failed ?

Paul773car

Post by Paul773car »

I wrecked the seal getting out so it might have. And that would explain it.

Thanks