That *** 350 nm crankshaft pulley bolt

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

RichardF
80-90 Mem No: 7409

That *** 350 nm crankshaft pulley bolt

Post by RichardF »

I am fitting the old triple groove crankshaft pulley to a recon engine I am installing.

I loosened the bolt to remove the pulley from the old engine by whacking a 3/4" drive t-bar with a small sledgehammer, but don't think I can calibrate a clout to give the correct torque to use the same method put it back.

As the gearbox is not yet installed, I could lock the flywheel with the standard tool, but read somewhere that doing this and tightening the bolt to 350 nm could impose too much twist on the crankshaft.

Can anyone tell me if locking the flywheel to tighten the bolt at the other end to 350 nm is permissible?
Don't force it - get a bigger hammer!

'87 2.1 Syncro, '96 Audi A4 Avant, '94 Alfa 33.

RichardF
80-90 Mem No: 7409

Re: That *** 350 nm crankshaft pulley bolt

Post by RichardF »

I was considering looking for the VAG 3149 locking tool, shown on Bentley Vanagon manual page 13.35, which engages with the alignment holes in the pulley and sits on the engine mounts, but I turned a couple of pages, and found another tool. VAG 3102, which connects one pulley hole with a bolt hole in one of the rubber engine mounts.

I searched Ebay for this, and, amazingly, found one for sale in Holland. Part of a commercial garage clearance, I got it for what I consider to be a bargain price.

So, all set when it arrives :D
Don't force it - get a bigger hammer!

'87 2.1 Syncro, '96 Audi A4 Avant, '94 Alfa 33.