Replacing the radiator

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

aknapper
80-90 Mem No: 0

Replacing the radiator

Post by aknapper »

Replacing the radiator has been a relatively straightforward exercise :D Some good videos online to build confidence helped. 
ImageImageImageImageImageBasically clamping the two hoses is a good idea and having a clean bucket to catch the coolant is a must.
Unplug the switch and fan connections.
I strapped the rad so it wouldn't drop on me - safety first!   and then it was a simple 4 bolt removal of the brackets and then let it down slowly.  
I drained the rad by removing the switch and loosening the bleed screw.  Didn't spill too much coolant.
Then it was hoses off the radiator and bung them up.
Since I had already looked I knew that I'd need to do a fair amount of anti-rust treatment, so most of the effort this past weekend was grinding/brushing off the old rusty bits on the brackets, fan housing and spare wheel pan.  A good zinc spray followed by a shiny black topcoat did the trick.
A bit tricky to get the new radiator and fan assembly back in - I used my 12 yo son to help guide the nipples up and keep the rubber grommets on.  but 4 bolts later it was in!   I also bought the GoWesty hard plastic radiator baffles to install as the originals were long rotted away.
tonight I'll replace the old hoses with new ones and begin the process of refilling the coolant.  I'm pleased with progress and looking forward to less future worries about the coolant system.  Pictures of knackered radiator and rusty gubbins below.
1987 Komet Hightop DG

aknapper

Re: Replacing the radiator

Post by aknapper »

Ta-da!  new rad installed with new hoses and coolant topped up.  Ran it until the thermo valve opened to do some air bleeding.  1st stage fan came on.  All looks good!  once off the front stands I'll top up the expansion reservoir and take it for a 'prove I didn't screw something up' run :ok   Also bought the GoWesty baffles to replace the perished ones.  Even derusted and recoated the tin headlight assemblies since I had access and time.  I will be curious to see now where the dash temp needle sits.  All in all I'm very pleased with the ease of removal and installation!Image
1987 Komet Hightop DG

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Nice work!

Very satisfying; rust removal & paint especially.

My 80C thermostat pins the needle at 12 o’clock. My old 87C stat had the thickness of the needle to the right of the LED, just FYI.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

aknapper

Post by aknapper »

Took the van on a run up to Loch Lubnaig for a wild swim.  Was slightly worried to see that the temp gauge needle was barely out of the white section...eventually moved up to 1/3.  So that's a big change from always showing about 3/5.  I'm not exactly sure why it is farther to the left now - it was a chilly morning mind.  Next time I run it I'll bring the temp gun and take a few readings to see what's up.
1987 Komet Hightop DG