Leaking Petrol Tank

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Leaking Petrol Tank

Post by keynsham1 »

My petrol tank has been leaking for some time now but only when I fill it right up. If I fill till the pump clicks off, I got a run of fuel under the van which by the time I had done a mile or so stopped. I had assumed it was the rubber grommets on the breathers and the filler neck so I have just taken the tank out. I love the way on the YouTube videos they say just lean in and 'pop' the breathers out of the tank! Ha ha! Not a chance, but I did manage to get them out after dropping the tank a little. Disappointingly, all the rubbers look OK. So does the tank. No signs of rust or damage anywhere. The only thing I can see are some slight stain marks around the large grommet for the filler neck so I assume it was leaking from here? Is this a common spot for a leak?

I have some pictures but I have no idea how to attach them!! :D

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Leaking Petrol Tank

Post by Mocki »

Yes, the filler rubber is a very common place for a leak . 
there are two different sizes of filler pipe , early is metal and bigger , late is smaller and plastic . 
Brickwerks say they have both in stock , https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/catalogsea ... &x=33&y=17
al so check it isn’t the actual filler pipe 

adding pictures is soo easy now 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

You are right! So here are the pictures with the staining marks evident. I have the right seal for the filler neck and all seems good. The breather pipe flexibles were all pretty perished too but I think that would just give a smell of petrol and not a leak!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

So on closer inspection I think the sender unit seal was leaking. I always got petrol dripping from the rear edge of the tank and I think after cleaning the tan, these stain marks tell the story!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

I replaced my tank and when refitted also had a leak when tank full. The memory of fitting it was so painfull I’ve not taken it off to see where leak is coming from. I just under fill .

Enjoy the fitting .... at the time I did mine I saw a thread where someone had got rid of the shreks ears and used jubilee clips.
Good luck and hope you have small hands and long arms

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1991 Auto Sleeper Trident High Top
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol