Check your Brake Pipes!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

aknapper
80-90 Mem No: 0

Check your Brake Pipes!

Post by aknapper »

And here I was worried about coolant, radiator and fan...
Day 1 of our NC500 road trip last week showed the van running really well on the cruise up to Inverness.
But on the short and doglegged offramp my more than normal hard braking blew one of the rear brake pipes!  Fortunately I had enough fluid to get us to the campground with no issues, as the blow out wasn't apparent at first.  When we went to go for a post-tea drive, sure enough the brake pedal just went straight to the floor.  Happily Kwik-fit Inverness was open on a Sunday and did the repair quickly and all friendly-like.  (really impressed!)
The pipe blew because the T-piece screw had rusted out/fallen out and allowed the whole rear pipe assembly to fall down just enough for one line to rub against the gearbox mount.  No idea for how long but long enough to thin the wall where a really hard brake blew a hole.
Once up on the lift I had a proper look around at everything and took photos and realized that I hadn't known what I was actually looking at for things that are not right - especially for the brake pipes.  I'm missing brackets, holders everywhere.  Loads of zipties have kept things together but it was plain to see that remedial action is now needed.
first pic:  hard to see but pipe has worn away in a line - this is where it blew.  Located above the gearbox mount so very hard to see or check...  Pic 2 - leaking fluid helps to diagnose the problem - T-piece not secured but covered in fluid...  Pic 3 - other end of pipe fine (note ziptie)Image
ImageSo I'm posting just to remind everyone if they haven't looked at their brake pipes etc to do so and check that nothing is rubbing and that youv'e got proper holders etc (easily ordered from BW/HP and cheap).  We were just fortunate that the brakes didn't fail on the A9 and that we were able to get them fixed quickly and only missed a day's itinerary on our 9 day NC500 trip.
1987 Komet Hightop DG

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Check your Brake Pipes!

Post by Mocki »

Told you the cooling system would be fine ! 

when was your last MOT ? 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

aknapper

Post by aknapper »

Last MOT was April last year.  
I have a sense that my VW mechanic isn't really that interested in this bus...
I now have a list of to-dos:
1. replace radiator
2. replace brake flexi's and lines to wheel hubs
3. replace disc shields
4. replace rear brake cylinders and renew brake pads
5. reposition fuel line and add NRV
6. new steering bushings
7. add proper holders to brake lines etc
8. gas tank seals & lines renewal
9. replace rear bushings
10. possibly new front shocks

I think I'll renew the front brake pads but get Mr. Mechanic to do this and put new disc shields on (as I think these will be a problem for me to do).  Never a dull moment for throwing cash at renewing Otto's netherbits! :ok

1987 Komet Hightop DG

aknapper

Post by aknapper »

MOT pass last week.  VWDavemechanic did the final rear brake adjustments.  Apparently I installed the ARB upsidedown last year after renewing the bushings...oops!  (mind you he didn't catch that last year...)
Some slight play in rear nearside bearing.  Maybe do both rear bearings next year.
Only things I didn't do on the repair/replace list were the rear swing arm bushings, front shocks and gas tank seal/lines renewal.  They can all wait for next year as I've had my fill of repairs this year.
1987 Komet Hightop DG