Clear oil leaking after driving

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

S.J.H.7.8
80-90 Mem No: 0

Clear oil leaking after driving

Post by S.J.H.7.8 »

Hi all,
Been an avid reader but not a poster before but needs must. Pretty sure I have read related posts but not sure I have found same issue to match hence the post.

T25 with 1.9 polo engine.

Clutch was slipping last year so had it replaced and turns out bell housing seal had gone so garage replaced bell housing.

Started seeing swap/drip at bell housing base months later - dripping clean oil not black engine oil (I know coz I have a few of those drips too!). Definitely oil.

Drips more after a run and in the hot weather as I assume the oil thins when warm. If wiped away when parked drip doesn’t return till next run.

Garage said nothing to worry about. If it was a drip from there (I have tried to see if it’s tracking from somewhere else but does not seem to be the case) can I check oil levels with limited equipment/ what should I look out for as signs of bigger issue (clutch slipping etc...?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotttie
80-90 Mem No: 16828

Re: Clear oil leaking after driving

Post by scotttie »

Smell the oil and you can probably work out if it's coming from the engine or gearbox (gearbox oil has quite a distinct smell!)

S.J.H.7.8

Post by S.J.H.7.8 »

Hi
Thanks
I had heard that and it doesn’t smell too bad - not what I would describe as distinctive enough to be noticeable which is why I’m struggling to identify the source of the leak. The fact it is not black (like my other drips from the oil pan) is what’s confusing. I’ll do another smell check!

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

it's either gear oil with clutch dust mixed in or engine oil which on a diesel is always slightly black from 5 minutes after fresh oil is put in;
the previous issue was probably caused by a lack of spigot bearing and not actually a seal failure as such and it's possible replacement bellhousing wasn't that good either (worn oil thrower) so I expect that it's gear oil especially if a spigot bearing still hasn't been fitted

jas915
80-90 Mem No: 6242

Post by jas915 »

Could be leaking from the cam cover gasket and running down the block. My aaz does this

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Grey/white high top, AAZ.

S.J.H.7.8

Post by S.J.H.7.8 »

Aidan wrote:it's either gear oil with clutch dust mixed in or engine oil which on a diesel is always slightly black from 5 minutes after fresh oil is put in;
the previous issue was probably caused by a lack of spigot bearing and not actually a seal failure as such and it's possible replacement bellhousing wasn't that good either (worn oil thrower) so I expect that it's gear oil especially if a spigot bearing still hasn't been fitted
Thanks Aidan
The gear oil and clutch dust might be right. Although no distinctive smell (might just be me!)
Anyway to check gear oil levels??

S.J.H.7.8

Post by S.J.H.7.8 »

jas915 wrote:Could be leaking from the cam cover gasket and running down the block. My aaz does this

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Thanks
Maybe.... will dry off and try and track again when drip appears.

S.J.H.7.8

Post by S.J.H.7.8 »

Just to update ... decided it had to be the gear oil as I had eliminated all other possibilities.

Following a great blog https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/vwt25.bl ... hange/amp/ I did a smell check on some new gear oil and it was a match to the dripping oil.

I opened up the filler plug and dipped a finger to just find fresh air as far as a finger went. Using a zip tie as a dip stick I managed to find some oil in there but then proceeded straight to top up as not sure there would be much to drain.

Proceeded to pour 2 litres in till full! I had been monitoring drip for a while but pretty sure I would have noticed 2 litres pooling on the drive over 6 months so can only conclude the oil is gushing out while driving but not so much when parked (although it dropped heavier some days than others) or it wasn’t full from bell housing change about 12 months ago.

Anyway - at least i have identified the leak and can now both monitor and top up the gear oil. Hopefully averted a gear box disaster and can inform the garage with some certainty when I book her in come autumn.

Thanks for all advice.