Jumping out of gear

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ap1930
80-90 Mem No: 0

Jumping out of gear

Post by ap1930 »

Hi my camper has began to jump out of 3rd gear recently when I ease of the gas. It's a 1988 5 speed 1.6TD with a 1.9D 1Y engine in it. Is this an easy fix or is the gearbox knackered. If so where would be the best place to get it sorted etc. Seems I'm getting prices from £1000 to £1800 online to get a replacement. PS I live in Scotland.
Thanks

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Re: Jumping out of gear

Post by sarahandthebear »

Hello sounds like the gear linkages need replacing not a hard job but A bit fiddly to adjust. I’m currently trying to adjust mine but can change gears like a dream now
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

aknapper
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by aknapper »

Might be a thought to look at your gearbox bushing?  If it is still original rubber then it's likely perished and allowing a lot of movement.  Not sure this would pop you out of gear?
I had at least an inch or more of play in my stick shift due to my gearbox bushing allowing the travel.  I replaced it with powerflex and there is no play at all.
1987 Komet Hightop DG

Timburrows
80-90 Mem No: 14187

Post by Timburrows »

Main bearing play allowing shaft to move forwards and backwards so the selector to pull it out of gear may be,?

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Post by jebiga41 »

Could be q numer of things firstly gear linkage bushes and set up. After that its gearbox related, possibly a combination of all below mainshaft bearing movement, wear in case allowing play where relay lever goes and heavy wear on third gear and synchroniser ring and also play in pinion bearing and also damge to shift rod bearings This will require a full strip and rebuild. For more info drop me an email at vwvantopia@gmail.com
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Post by jebiga41 »

Could be q numer of things firstly gear linkage bushes and set up. After that its gearbox related, possibly a combination of all below mainshaft bearing movement, wear in case allowing play where relay lever goes and heavy wear on third gear and synchroniser ring and syncro ring also play in pinion bearing and also damge to shift rod bearings This will require a full strip and rebuild. For more info drop me an email at vwvantopia@gmail.com
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie