JX Turbo question

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

JX Turbo question

Post by Al Housman »

Noticed a whistling from my otherwise good turbo on my Syncro Doka. It turns out that the bolts/studs which hold the alloy part of the turbo to the cast iron impellor bit have corroded to the point where the two crescent shaped plates have come loose. So exhaust gases are blowing out around the place where the two halves meet.

I'll need to get the bits of studs out and replace. But I'd rather not strip it all down before the end of August by which time I'll have completed my firewood deliveries!! So I'd like an easy fix or a temporary bodge!

Is there anybody out there with one of these turbos off a vehicle who could tell me whether the impellor fan driven by the exhaust would come out through the hole where the two halves meet? Or will I have to take the exhaust pipe off and undo the bolt holding the impellor on?
I'm hoping that, by removing the main part of the turbo but leaving the cast part attached  to the vehicle(we all know what a pain it can be getting it off the manifold and costly if you need to replace those special bolts!) I'll be able to get the studs out by welding a nut on what's left.

Sorry this is a bit convoluted but anyone familiar with this will hopefully get what I'm on about!

Many thanks

Al

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: JX Turbo question

Post by davidoft1 »

The 2 outside parts , the cast part abs the aluminium part will unbolt from the central part that holds the turbines

So if what you’re Trying to do is remove 2/3 of the turbo leaving the exhaust (cast) side in place it’s possible assuming the bolts all come out easy :)

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

Re: JX Turbo question

Post by Al Housman »

Yes, that is exactly what I am hoping to do. Thank you for summing it up so well!

My thought is that it's a 10 minute job to remove most of the turbo and even if I can't get all of the broken studs out in one session it's only a further 10 minutes to return it to how it is now and carry on another day. That's the theory!

Thanks for clearing that up.