1.9 dg engine problems

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

roonstar

1.9 dg engine problems

Post by roonstar »

So had engine out from an scrap van, had it running in scrap van to double check all was well.
Swapped it into the wife's van and it's being a pig to start and keep running.
Running weber carb, electronic ignition looks like a beetle dizzy, new leads apart from King lead as new one didn't fit,
When I ran it off a can of fuel it seemed fine, swapped to tank ran like a bag of "pooh"..
Insoected filter... black so swapped out filter and different tank, stripped carb and cleaned jets,
Checked fuel pump, checked for spark, done timing started again from a can lovely...
Came out yesterday to try start and sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders lumpy etc tried to rev through it and wouldn't have it, felt like fuel starvation but pump is pumping fuel, I'm at a point I want to set fire to van so any help would be great, I understand its hard to visualise these problems
Note on checking for spark when my wife turned the engine off I got an almighty shock from the lead? Poss dizzy cap fault or lead fault?
Starter can be a bit slow and sluggish at times
New battery

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: 1.9 dg engine problems

Post by Mocki »

There are so many variables here 
wrong carb, wrong dissy , from your description I would suggest you start at one end and go back to basics .
from what you say , I would start at the fuel tank , filter and pump .
is the push rod for the pump the correct length ( exactly 100mm) is the pump really delivering constant fuel ?  
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

roonstar

Post by roonstar »

Thanks Steve for replying
Basically I have swapped engine over from a rusty bucket to A not so rusty bucket, along the way I have added ss exhaust and new leads that's about it new battery checked fuel lines and all good, I'm convinced it's electrical but need to find out what and where, I shouldn't be getting a jolt from lead when the engine is ignition was getting turned off by the wife
Anyoningly the dizzy isn't correct but has been fitted previously and ran fine?
As u say too many variables I'll go scratch head in garage thanks

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

I just re-read your post , you mentioned the king lead not fitting ?
there are two types of lead , the ones with pins in the center and the old type which require the nipples on the plugs , normally denoted by the coil . Whatever type the coil is the rest of the ignition must be .....
so check you haven’t got both . That would explain the jolt off the leads 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

roonstar

Post by roonstar »

Yeah there's a mix match of leads etc it's doing my head in order new leads and plugs from jk and I got them all plugs had nipples on so took em. Off as the old plugs didn't have em on,
Used the old dissy I had on the engine original and the leads didn't fit the cap smaller ends on new leads, I'm going to just call jk in morning and explain what I have and get them to send new bits before I set the van a blaze or cut it up!!!! Argh