Gear sector nylon tip replacement

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Slaydog
80-90 Mem No: 0

Gear sector nylon tip replacement

Post by Slaydog »

Hi - been having a lot of trouble finding first gear and after getting access to the front shift housing box it looks like the right nylon tip has worn away (Looking towards the front from the back).
Got a replacement pair from Brickwerks and have been studying this thread.
http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ge ... hanism_Pt1

My question is how far do I need to dismantle things to have enough workroom to fix them? Anyone had any success just removing the box or would I need to remove the whole gearstick assembly and front rod? I don't have any real means of jacking up the van but can get underneath if I don't put on too much more lockdown weight. Photos show it could do with taking to bits and treating but not got a lot of time before taking the fam away for our first camping trip next Friday.

ImageImage 

Thanks
1990 Holdsworth 1.9DG on 2e3 Manual 4 Speed

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Re: Gear sector nylon tip replacement

Post by sarahandthebear »

Hello to be honest it’s best to take it all apart but you can just take the box off and get to the shifter. But realistically whilst your there you may as well take the whole thing apart and replace everything. Our gear changes we’re starting to get very bad so we replaced it all and fixed the problem. A couple of days ago I replaced the gear linkages as well.
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

sarahandthebear

I think yours is actually different to mine. Ours is a 1984 5 speed westy. And from the pictures yours looks different?

sarahandthebear

Oh and one more thing don’t do it before holiday :rofl I made the same mistake and fixed the gear linkages apart from when away I could not select some gears. It took me a while at the campsite to adjust everything which was a pain in the behind. To be honest I wish I had left it until I got home

Slaydog

Post by Slaydog »

sarahandthebear wrote:I think yours is actually different to mine. Ours is a 1984 5 speed westy. And from the pictures yours looks different?
Yep - mine is 4 speed so the box has different guides but the principle is the same. I have it booked in the garage for Wednesday as a contingency plan but would like to give it a go myself first. All the other gears can be found easily, just first that is the bugger so was hoping to just try and replace the right side tip with as little effort as poss but could be being naive :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

just take the box off, 4 x 10mm nuts holding it to the gearstick swivel plate above the floor,  clean up the old grease with brake cleaner or similar, carefully cut off the remains of the old plastic guides, clean it again and you should be ready to fit the new guides as per the instructions in the kit, hopefully you bought the more expensive high quality ones made by our own SilverBullet

do both tips at the same time, daft not to

Slaydog

Post by Slaydog »

Thanks Aidan, I got these ones so hope so, The others were just over £5 I think.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/selector-f ... yncro.html

Interestingly no instructions with them, any online anywhere? I’ve bought some resin and hoping to crack on this afternoon. Assumed you just need to clean off the old ones and bond with resin and pins. (Making sure you put them on the right way around of course :-)

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Being as I originally made them...

Trim off the old plastic remains and "polygrease" gunge, thoroughly degrease with brake or carb cleaner.
Do a dry assembly first: slip each tip onto the fork and visually check that the pins will pass easily through the holes in each fork leg.
If necessary, clean the holes in the fork with a 4 mm drill, with care.
Mix up some epoxy (you dont need much at all) and working one side at a time, smear a bit into the pocket of the relevant tip and push it on, then fit the rivet and squeeze it in a vise to swell the rivet (dont go mad!)
Repeat for other side and leave for 24 hours to fully cure.

Slaydog

Post by Slaydog »

@silverbullet - thank you!

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

No problem. This really should be:
1. In the wiki
2. on Brickwerks webshop

Slaydog

Post by Slaydog »

Yep - just finished. Your instructions were great, didn’t take long at all. In hindsight I needed to pay more attention to ‘ensuring the pins pass easily through the holes’
They were a bit stiff and because i was just doing this with the box off opposed to dismantling - I couldn’t fit my drill under very well to bore out the hole a little more. Very tight fit and could have done with a bit more clearance on the pin. Got there in the end tho having fashioned a makeshift hand drill with grips - just hope I haven’t damaged the fork hammering the pin in, but took care not to be too rough.

One question - while cleaning up the box I noticed the guide was a bit worn on the back left (4th?) Never had any problem getting in 4th so assuming not an issue but should I think about replacing, or is that by design Image

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

the alloy plate is no longer available so don't worry about it

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Addendum: the "premium" kit from Brickwerks comes with instructions, the "budget" kit now marketed by JP Group (who ripped me off) does not...

Slaydog

Post by Slaydog »

Interesting - I paid £27 for the premium kit. When it first arrived it had the wrong size pins but they were quick to get in touch with me and send out smaller ones. I wonder if I was sent the budget kit by mistake?

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Should have instructions, but I didnt write them (as far as I recall)
The premium kit has plastic bits that have obviously been machined, with a radiused end to the slots. The budget ones have a square ended slot because they are injection moulded.
I'd raise this with Brickwerks with a friendly email ;)