Oil light

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mawsy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Oil light

Post by Mawsy »

Hi all, I have a 1989 2.1 fuel injected automatic 112 bhp , a couple of days ago the oil light and buzzer came on.I spent 2 days looking for the second oil pressure switch (behind pulley) only to discover the van had an engine change in 2001 for the earlier model with a single switch, I have changed this switch, changed the oil and filter. The engine will idle ok, but oil light comes on with any throttle. I removed oil pressure piston and it moves freely. The second side from the switch goes to earth.any advice before I remove the oil pump, I had the dogs out of the pump and could find no wear. Cheers Mawsy

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: Oil light

Post by ajsimmo »

Your high pressure switch circuit must have been permanently earthed as the workaround (bodge) for the lack of a switch. It's this circuit that has broken. It's often at the white twin spade connector near the thermostat housing that it fails, but could be anywhere. Find and fix the break and your oil light should stay off.

PS I do wonder why/if you have a 2.1 built in an early case?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Mawsy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Oil light

Post by Mawsy »

Hello again, just checked the wiring, the twin connector was badly corroded, changed and it seems to have done the job,will have a run at the weekend, once again thanks cheers Mawsy :ok