A Numpty and his 2.1 Project

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: A Numpty and his 2.1 Project

Post by maxstu »

I have a DJ 2.1 and its a pleasure to drive. So smooth. Yet the pierberg system is so simple in comparison l would definately go carb.
Setting up the digijet to run correctly is not easy.
For starters you will need temp 2 switch in new thermostat housing. Wiring up fuel pump/relay to a fuel injection tank. Different pipes. Play in throttle body causes issues. Vacuum hoses. Absolutely no airleaks on the intake side.
Lots and lots of issues you cannot possibly attack until engine is in van. Unless you have a way of bench running engine of course..
I can guarantee it will not be plug and drive.
Happy to swap a manifold for the injectors.
I can also sell you a good used genuine fuel pump.
Regards
Stuart.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Where's the Idle Control Valve btw?
MaxStu

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

maxstu wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 21:17 I have a DJ 2.1 and its a pleasure to drive. So smooth. Yet the pierberg system is so simple in comparison l would definately go carb.
Setting up the digijet to run correctly is not easy.
For starters you will need temp 2 switch in new thermostat housing. Wiring up fuel pump/relay to a fuel injection tank. Different pipes. Play in throttle body causes issues. Vacuum hoses. Absolutely no airleaks on the intake side.
Lots and lots of issues you cannot possibly attack until engine is in van. Unless you have a way of bench running engine of course..
I can guarantee it will not be plug and drive.
Happy to swap a manifold for the injectors.
I can also sell you a good used genuine fuel pump.
Regards
Stuart.

Well as I am missing the main control unit for the Digijet stuff and I've replaced my fuel tank already a few months ago so I will be going carb. As for the housing, that has the two sensors in it these ones. I think I am gonna need a new housing anyway, cannot get the other one apart.Image I have a fuel pump on order. Even though I will be running a carb I've checked the throttle body and there seems to be no wear in it, the switch clicks when it should so that seems decent. I can probably get some money back selling the bits I am not going to use, more of the stuff looks servicable. 

1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

maxstu wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 21:31 Where's the Idle Control Valve btw?
ImageThere it is, cleaned it up a bit. the rubber mount for it is split but that's about it.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Stesaw wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 21:49
ImageThere it is, cleaned it up a bit. the rubber mount for it is split but that's about it.
If you want to swap injectors for manifold l need to know by 10am tomorrow. Im travelling to Banbury on Sunday. Then on to Buxton on Monday. So passing fairly close to Coventry.
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Throttle butterfly should click just off idle and again at fully open
MaxStu

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

maxstu wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 22:08 Throttle butterfly should click just off idle and again at fully open
It does, no play in it either so might put it up on the for sale section when I know where I am more with the engine

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

As for the injectors, well I don't know what condition they are in, one looks pretty mucky on the inside and they all look like the've been sat in a pond for the last 10 years. I did think when I had some money coming in again about sending them to that place in Hull for a refurb and sell them to someone who could use them. I need to make as much as I can back to fund this little project and I'd rather make sure that someones gonna get something that works. 

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

If it ran in the beetle it had an ECU. Even though you're going carb, don't tell beetle man that, tell him you need that ECU to get it to run (rather than the real reason: it's the most valuable bit and you need it to sell it).
Have you checked it is actually a 2.1 by measuring the stroke? Just a thought before going any further. Believe me it does happen!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

ajsimmo wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 22:39 If it ran in the beetle it had an ECU. Even though you're going carb, don't tell beetle man that, tell him you need that ECU to get it to run (rather than the real reason: it's the most valuable bit and you need it to sell it).
Have you checked it is actually a 2.1 by measuring the stroke? Just a thought before going any further. Believe me it does happen!

Yeah, that's the thing I don't think the guy was trying it on. But I deffo don't have it my van is a shell at the moment, maybe it was left in the bettle and the guy who took that has it. I shot myself in the foot with that because I didn't check when I picked it up.

I have not checked anything like that. The Case says DJ under the oil breather, that is not something that has crossed my mind to do, or how I'd go about doing it.

E D I T- A quick google search tells me how  :lol: I haven't taken the heads off, sorta reluctant to in a way as that means about £100 (nothing really for an engine I know but no income could stop the build for a bit) in new gaskets at least, that's not to say I don't break something getting them off. Also It still has oil and a bit of water sloshing around it it.
Last edited by Stesaw on 11 Jul 2020, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

A measuring stick in the spark plug hole. Or two markers on a kebab stick will do. Bottom of stroke to TDC and you have the answer.
MaxStu

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

maxstu wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 23:11 A measuring stick in the spark plug hole. Or two markers on a kebab stick will do. Bottom of stroke to TDC and you have the answer.

Oh ok, wasn't sure if it would be accurate doing that. Have to give that a go tomorrow  :ok

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Stesaw wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 21:49
:ok
Put 12 volts on it for a few seconds to make sure it vibrates. Of so it's a goodun'.
MaxStu

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

So todays adventures. Not much progress, weather was nice so was doing stuff up the allotment. 
ImageDirty thing. Got creative with the allan key in shot along with the breaker bar and a bit of pipe off my jack to get enough oomph to shift the bolts.
ImageLots of metal shavings.. off one of the dowels on the flywheel perhaps?
ImageBit of an oil leak it seems but looks like its coming from behind the shims???? :?
ImageNow showing the latest tech to measure-ish the stroke of an engine. One Mcdonalds paper straw (other retailers available) It might be out a few mil but that's what it gave me. Haven't checked yet if that's correct for a 2.1 or not :shock:

E D I T, 76mil from the tech sheet i've looked at so thats good.  :ok

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

76mm is good news. Oil behind shims is also good news, as it's wet side of the oil seal. If there's dampness outside check for a groove in the sealing face on the flywheel. That can be fixed with a speedisleeve. Then fit a new oil seal.

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran