A Numpty and his 2.1 Project

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: A Numpty and his 2.1 Project

Post by Stesaw »

I know it will cost a bit if I get someone to do it for me. Just gotta wait for it to be dryer to give it a go myself.

1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

The bad news, I ended up taking a trip to hospital due to getting blasted in the eye with brake fluid after taking the clutch and brake assembly out of the syncro, drained the reservoir but some must have still been in the cylinder.  :roll: The one time I don't wear eye protection because I wasn't under the van!

Good news is eye is fine with a good irrigation and some drops and antibiotics to be sure.
Also mean bearings arrived from Germany today so that's one less thing I got to wait for.
Waiting to hear back on the barrel honing and cam crank (derp) polishing from the machine/engine shop.
Will be tackling the broken studs one way or another soon maybe with the help from the local engine shop.

Last edited by Stesaw on 01 Mar 2021, 21:16, edited 2 times in total.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Cam polishing ?
I hope you meant crank!
Sorry to hear about your brake fluid incident, glad you're ok. My mate became addicted to drinking brake fluid, but he reckons he can stop anytime.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

ajsimmo wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 19:42 Cam polishing ? Image
I hope you meant crank!
Sorry to hear about your brake fluid incident, glad you're ok. My mate became addicted to drinking brake fluid, but he reckons he can stop anytime.

Oh yes...latter part very funny. :rofl l fell for it at first...

Get well soon Stesaw

:ok
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

ajsimmo wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 19:42 Cam polishing ? Image
I hope you meant crank!

Oops Yes, sorry crank!  :oops: hahaha
Edited the post ;)
Oh yes...latter part very funny. :rofl l fell for it at first...

Get well soon Stesaw

Yeah I'm OK Stu, just sods law!

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Got the crank and barrels back today. Chap said that the barrels still had a few marks on but didn't want to keep honing them as he'd be taking more material off them which could cause problems. There are still a few scratches and scuffs on them which I expected and I had toyed with the idea of new ones, I will put some pictures up soon. He also kindly said he'd have a start at the studs on the case, just to give me a hand, unless of course he manages to get them out. I gave him one side of the case to try as he's just going to try and we can go from there.
Crank is all nice and smooth, I am tempted to fit the crank up with all the new bits, but I need to clean the waxy stuff off the con rods first. I guess my old friend brake fluid might do the trick for that? if so goggles on! :rofl :roll:
Although if anyone else knows what works better I am all ears!

I guess now I could also fit the rings and put the pistons in the barrels as well! ooooooooo stuff to do.
Mind you I might hold off til I get the rest of the bits I am waiting for that are on back order before I dive in. I don't want clean things sitting around getting muck in/on them before assembly.

Also updated the list on the first post of bits I've bought.  

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

Stesaw wrote:I need to clean the waxy stuff off the con rods first. I guess my old friend brake fluid might do the trick for that? if so goggles on! :rofl :roll:
Although if anyone else knows what works better I am all ears!

Petrol Image

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Obvious choice really! I guess just soak them in it overnight in a container or would wiping them down with clean rags and petrol do the job.
Either way somewhere well ventilated  :lol:

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

Stesaw wrote:Obvious choice really! I guess just soak them in it overnight in a container or would wiping them down with clean rags and petrol do the job.
Either way somewhere well ventilated  Image
Either will work, but I do the latter. Much, much quicker than brake cleaner (although I finish them with it).

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Good news!

I got a bit itchy to do something so I decided to fit the rings and put the pistons in the sleeves.
Got the book oily.. if only the girlfriend knew I got oil on a book, I'd never hear the end of it!  
:run
Used a piston to get the rings square in the barrels. At least I get to use my new feelers!
Gaps ranged from 30 to about 34 for uppers and lower rings, I used one set of rings per barrel as I was checking and fitting them as I went. Side clearances were also fine, pretty much bang on, got no pictures of that, you get the jist from the book picture. Before fitting I cleaned the pistons down with some brake clean and clean cloths for each. When fitting the oil scraper I made sure the join was butted up to itself and not overlapping, then made sure that the gaps on the rings each side of it were of equal or there abouts distance from it and themselves. When fitting the other rings the gaps for the upper and lower rings were 180 degrees of each other, so one at the top of the piston the other at the bottom. The first piston I was quite cautious as I know these rings can be brittle, but with the right tools (I know right scary! I had the right tool for the job! :lol: ) they went on without issue and the rest followed suit quite quickly after gaining a bit of confidence, one or two tried to escape as I had oiled the piston and the rings when fitting and one tried to take my glove with it. Make sure to not have any bits of glove in your rings!, there is probably a joke there somewhere.. :shock:

Once I had all the rings on each piston I put them to one side and cleaned up the barrels with brake clean to get rid of any honing oil that was left and gave the sealing surfaces a clean with some scotch brite pads, vinegar and rinsing with brake clean before putting a bit of oil over them (I'm paranoid about stuff getting rusty! can always wipe them off later!)

Once I did that I got some clean engine oil (the stuff I use in the van, so the Morris Mineral stuff) and lubed up the inner barrels with it.
For putting the pistons in I was unsure if I should try putting them in from the bottom or top of the barrels, in the end I went for the top making sure that the arrows would be facing the correct way, IE towards the flywheel for both sides while making sure the barrels were orientated the right way, so the flanged bits face each other.
You can tell in this picture what pistons I cleaned compared to the two shinier ones from ajsimmo  :lol: . The walls and grooves were cleaned as clean as I could get, scraped most of the carbon out of the ring grooves with old bits of rings and soaking them overnight in petrol. Though still not as shiney and free from crap I still call it a win.

Tomorrow I think I will clean up the conrods and put the Crank together! oooo fun!!

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Looking good, matey! :ok
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Still got about a 7 week ETA on the gasket set :(

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

Stesaw wrote:Still got about a 7 week ETA on the gasket set :(
Why's that? In stock at BW.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

ajsimmo wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 01:41
Stesaw wrote: Still got about a 7 week ETA on the gasket set :(
Why's that? In stock at BW.

Id rather spend £89.50 at heritage than £123.64 ;)
That saved cash will go towards a new water pump.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Been gardening the last two days so no progress on the build. Excuses I know :roll:

As I am waiting for the case I thought it best to hold off on the crank assembly. There is one thing I am finding difficult getting info on and that is fitting new headbolts with some form of anti seize and also using anti seize on studs in general. I've got copper grease but I'm not sure if I'd wanna use that on installing the headbolts into the case.

Are they generally dry fitted or do people use some "special" anti seize? or would the copper grease do well in the aluminium case?