A Numpty and his 2.1 Project

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: A Numpty and his 2.1 Project

Post by Stesaw »

So, all done.. ish.
Cutting down some of the stubborn studs helped, less twisting. Although one still broke.
ImageImage​​​Another corner one broke, (Spoiler, not the last) also one of the middle ones. It looks nasty there and I swore I brushed the crap off it.. going to give it a wire brush tomorrow.
ImageTwo bloody corner ones. Was wondering what size nuts to use as there isn't much room.
If I recall these are M8 nuts, was making sure I have enough room to get a socket on them, will also recheck before welding. 
Maybe welding tomorrow if weather isn't wet, have to run an extention to the garage so I want no accidents.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Quick update.

Weather's been a*** so no chance to do welding, the garage is very damp and I don't wanna fry myself or knacker the welder or get a cold :P.
In the mean time I've done some looking and cleaning of parts and making a list of bits that would make sense to replace. In a decent light the piston barrels/jugs/sleeves I can still see the cross hatch on all of them, so maybe this engine had a refresh at somepoint. (will follow up with pictures) however one has a nice big vertical groove line down it where the piece of metal was stuck into the piston wall.. I don't think honing will be an option for that.

In other news I've been informed I'm getting a bit of inheritence money.. some of which has already been assigned to a.. uhh.. well.. van project of sorts...info to follow on that one...

This also means I have some options for the engine build as I have some money to burn but I don't want to burn it all, however I'm quite good at that. :roll: I'd been in touch with Andrew for two replacement pistons, however if the sleeve is knackered on one of them then maybe other options could be afoot with this cash injection. :)

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Oh dear...why do I do it to myself. Thats not a petrol engine...Imagethis engine also came with this..

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

You've been syncro'd! :rollin Sanity Clause visit you early, did he? :rofl

More photos please!
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Was an impulse purchase as I have had money to burn, was an OK price for what I got for a conversion for the other van. Money coulda gone on the engine to make a nice fancy 2.5 but I really dont wanna be shipping stuff over to the US . 
Will still needs bits for the syncro conversion afterwards but the basic stuff is there. 
The van itself it rough in the usual places, so seams and under the sliding door rail cover along with the right outer sil being shot, inner one looked and felt solid so that was a surprise considering the hole that's there on the outer. I managed to put my hand through the drivers wheel arch when getting out so that made me chuckle as well as sigh.. but I'm after the syncro bits and anything else that I can use to improve the other van, If I had the storage space I'd keep the shell and practice my welding on it and maybe re-build and sell it...but that would be a very very long project. 

I'll probably pinch at least one of the doors as mine are in a bad shape. I had interest in the engine but no idea if it runs, it turns over but has very little oil in it so ill pick some cheapo stuff up tomorrow. The starter doesn't fire and the battery was flat so I charged that a bit and found loose wires to the starter in my 5 mins of faffing with it.
ImageHad that stuck in it as well, spare syncro box (in bits) as I understand the AHF is a 4+G with the same ratio's as my DX box that is in the red van. If the rjes info is correct that is.

I will make another thread on it rather than clutter this one up at somepoint.

The engine build will still continue.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Just dusting this place off.
Should have news soon!  :wink:

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

What's this?!

ImageImage

Managed to wing off my cam gear to Andrew (ajsimmo), he's fitted the new cam onto my gear and done his wizardry on it.
Will be gettting more bits from him as well just finalising some things before I get them sent back.

Getting the list of bits together from Brickwerks and Heritage is a bit of a faff as prices vary greatly between the two so I'm going back and forth finding who sells what the cheapest. EG Victor Rienz Gasket set is £91.50 on Heritage whereas Brickwerks sells it for £123.64.
Wonder if they do pricematching?  Hol up, I'm an idiot Brickwerks has an option for that but will see!
Last edited by Stesaw on 18 Feb 2021, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

So got the package from Ajsimmo  :ok  haven't opened it yet as I want to get everything else sorted.
Now a slight oversight I've had is getting the correct bearings for the crank and rods.
My crank is marked Green and Blue, old main bearings have the code 025 501 then b c d depending on the bearing. 
Was trying to look up if those codes were standard or under/oversize but get a bit bamboozled as the numbers change.
I guess I should measure up the crank along with the old bearing to get the measurements for the bearings and big ends, however not sure if calipers are suited or if I need a micrometer, I do have a couple of pairs but I think they are too small.
In regards to the big ends, as I am getting new rods should they just be standard "blue" bearings?

I guess the sensible option is to contact a local engine shop and have them mic the crank to check it?
I had intentions of getting in touch with them anyway to clean the case and crank at somepoint anyway. 

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

After a nice message from Ajsimmo, I went ahead and measured the cam with my veriner, seems I was overthinking things a little.
55mm which is standard, now I know what to order it's time to get on it.
Brickwerks order put through for set of head studs, big ends and a new oil relief washer.
Yet to put an order on Heritage. Mainly because they only stock JP Followers and Elring Main bearings.
I've always seen that people say to go Kolbenschmidt for those bits, but everywhere is out of stock. Brickwerks don't have an ETA on the mains and the followers have been on order since November.

Been looking online but it seems it's the same situation everywhere.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Overthinking can be very dangerous. :rofl Who would (you) have two vans to cope with for starters? :run

On the other hand underthinking can be costly too.

We are in the process of buying a property. Its got all l could ask for. A 25ft car port and a 31ft garage tandem workshop...lm easily pleased. But l mismeasured the carport height. Fine at garage end (where l measured) and where l want to park camper. Yet the front has a major support beam 4 inches lower than back and l now realise thats going to take out vent on roof.
Cant raise it either as its just under guttering on side of bungalow roof.
I'll think of something..... :roll:
MaxStu

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

maxstu wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 13:08 Overthinking can be very dangerous. :rofl Who would (you) have two vans to cope with for starters? :run

On the other hand underthinking can be costly too.

We are in the process of buying a property. Its got all l could ask for. A 25ft car port and a 31ft garage tandem workshop...lm easily pleased. But l mismeasured the carport height. Fine at garage end (where l measured) and where l want to park camper. Yet the front has a major support beam 4 inches lower than back and l now realise thats going to take out vent on roof.
Cant raise it either as its just under guttering on side of bungalow roof.
I'll think of something..... :roll:

There is a fine line very much so. 
It's more like one and a bit van right now :P

Yeah although I'd rather overthink than not think, which is why I am taking so long. Got both my orders in now and found some main bearings in Germany, although I haven't ordered lifters yet.

I think tool wise now I need a valve laping tool which is a couple of quid, just going to go for one of the dowels with a sucker on the end along with the paste, along with that a valve clamp of sorts to get the valves out. A DTI for checking float and maybe checking barrels. A honing tool to clean up the barrels and some honing oil.
Or with the barrels should I just stick a ring in them at intervals and measure the gap?

Fancy pants, yeah I'd love a garage with power and stuff. The one I have access to is full of holes, no leccy and full of junk.
I mean it's easy just let the air out your tyres each time you go in!  :rofl

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

It's got a Hawaiian bar in a self contained annexe after the garage/workshop too. :mrgreen:
Now looking for 10" five stud minilites :rofl
MaxStu

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

maxstu wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 19:44 It's got a Hawaiian bar in a self contained annexe after the garage/workshop too. :mrgreen:
Now looking for 10" five stud minilites :rofl

Sounds like a good place to rebuild an engine!
That would be interesting to see!  :lol:

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

So today popped down to a local engine shop to get quotes on having the cylinders honed/cleaned along with the crank for a clean and polish. 

I took the case down as well to enquire about how much they'd charge to sort the broken studs and to give it a clean. 
Would be around £250 for the time taken to remove the studs or so I was told by drilling them out. Spark erosion was another option I was told but I'd have to go elsewhere for that and that might be more. I think I will give it a crack myself.

After chatting with the chap I've left the barrels and crank with him so they can be done right. I don't wanna bugger it up or miss something that a trained eye might see. 

Should be getting parts of my orders tomorrow from Brickwerks and Heritage. Gasket set and other bits are waiting stock  :cry:

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Stesaw wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 18:43

I took the case down as well to enquire about how much they'd charge to sort the broken studs and to give it a clean. 
Would be around £250 for the time taken to remove the studs or so I was told by drilling them out. Spark erosion was another option I was told but I'd have to go elsewhere for that and that might be more. I think I will give it a crack myself.

You might as well. You've nowt else to do :rofl
MaxStu