A Numpty and his 2.1 Project

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: A Numpty and his 2.1 Project

Post by maxstu »

Golf AAG shares a lot of diesel components by all accounts.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Stesaw wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 15:45 Dont have a dishwasher to hand. I did think about filling a tub up with water and some form of washing powder or degreaser and just letting them sit overnight in it. I've heard of people sitting them in vinegar but not sure I'd wanna do that... the smell would drive me nuts for one.

What about a large sealed container with oven cleaner?
MaxStu

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

maxstu wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 07:49
Stesaw wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 15:45 Dont have a dishwasher to hand. I did think about filling a tub up with water and some form of washing powder or degreaser and just letting them sit overnight in it. I've heard of people sitting them in vinegar but not sure I'd wanna do that... the smell would drive me nuts for one.

What about a large sealed container with oven cleaner?
I've read on the interwebs that you gotta be careful with oven cleaners as they can ruin aluminium? I am sure there are some aluminium safe cleaners out there. I've decided at the moment that there is no point cleaning everything perfectly while it's gonna be in bits for a while. I will do the final clean when I reassemble it after getting all the bits together for it. 
:ok

Well the 2k (ish) for a subaru conversion was from what I reccall from Rjes for the conversion bits and a quote for an engine from Howard at HDC.
I am sure there would probably be other bits needed to finalize it. Just a thought for others who might be thinking about doing a rebuild.
They might save their sanity from cleaning!!
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

If you are lucky (very lucky) to snaffle a used handbuilt VW/Subaru exhaust then costs are reduced, perhaps?
MaxStu

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Actually that's true, I forgot to factor in an exhaust for that  :roll:

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Small update today, no pictures. 

A few steps back today as genius boy here left the pulley on the crank so after scratching my head how I am gonna remove this barsteward I decided to plonk the crank back in in the case and put it back together with just the cam and the flywheel on the back so I can lock it.
Spent the better part of 3 hours trying to shift it but being a 3 groove its torqued to the moon. As I used all of my torch gas for getting off the case nuts I couldn't heat it either. 

Grrrrr

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

You may end up twisting the crankshaft? Just a thought...

Time to get inventive with a length of right angle bar and bolts.
Utilise the two holes in pulley and the front lifting eye bolt. Or the engine stand. Stand on one engine stand lower arm and get a helper to crank with minimum 3/4 drive and scaffold pole
MaxStu

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

A note on crank endfloat: if you can see it, it's too much. Its a nominal 0.07mm or about 3thou' in old money, +/- a thou' (1max)

0.12 is max allowable. You need a dial clock to set endfloat and a good lever to simulate the clutch release load pressure.

If the crabk "donks" when you lever it, it needs investigating. Dished and scored or even broken thrust shims are common.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

silverbullet wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 17:52 A note on crank endfloat: if you can see it, it's too much. Its a nominal 0.07mm or about 3thou' in old money, +/- a thou' (1max)

0.12 is max allowable. You need a dial clock to set endfloat and a good lever to simulate the clutch release load pressure.

If the crabk "donks" when you lever it, it needs investigating. Dished and scored or even broken thrust shims are common.
Not that fussed about endfloat right now, but it's something i've looked up a great deal so when I get round to that I know what I'm doing.
Did you see my PM by the way Silverbullet?

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Yes, had a glance but not had the chance to compose a full reply!

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

No probs, just wanted to make sure I sent it to the right bloke 

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Good news everyone..

ImageWith a bit of help from a very helpful bloke at a local VW shop he got the bolt off for me.. in about 5 seconds  :rofl  Note to self look into getting an impact gun....

Got it back to mine and got the puller on the pulley and off it popped. Next on the list, get some pliers to take off that circlip. 

On a side note I also reversed into next doors fence post knackering my rear bumper and end cap.. oops, well the bumper is full of rust holes so needs replacing anyway but the end caps a bit of a bugger, if anyone has one going spare let me know :)

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Five weeks' on......any progress to report?
MaxStu

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

None right now afraid, for a couple of reasons. One I've got limited space in the garage and as the van was going in for welding everything has been taken out of the box and been stashed away leaving me no room to get in there and work :P. (still trying to find a place to get the welding done, the last guy never calls back, maybe he is real busy but it put me off a bit.)

Also as I was so happily made redundant at the start of this endevour I've been looking fo work so I can fund this and also pay bills. But as things are with this bug I want to be careful about what I apply for due to family.

In the mean time I've been looking at bits and bobs and trying to get quotes from our resident engine builders and also online to see how far I want to go can go financially with this build. I know I need a new cam, just need a bit of guidance for that in terms of using the old gear off the old cam or getting a new gear with the new cam. I've seen the straight cut gears as an option and read up on them and was wondering if it would be something to go for as they seem to have advantages to potentially lessening wear on the engine and I quote:

"Straight Cut Cam Gears run without side load and solves the problem of early wear to cam bearing thrust surfaces."

I am assuming the general application for them are in race engines rather than just your daily, much the same with transmissions.

In a perfect world I'd like to go to the 2.5 the SB can put together but I'm assuming its going to be around 2-3k in parts alone.

Maybe as it's my first build of an engine this size, maybe sticking to the stock 2.1 and just spending some of the money that would have gone on some of those bits to maybe either go dual carb or some aftermarket EFI setup. Also finding DJ pistons that are in stock is a bloody nightmare. Maybe it would make sense to replace them all with new barrels but the barrels seem OK with no lips on them or nasty wear. But until SB and the folks get back to me I don't know what way this is going to go yet.

Problem is, I'm good at taking stuff apart and putting it back together, However I am but a plebian when it comes to the intricacies of engine building such as piston weights, cam lift and the likes.I understand that an engine should be balanced, but if I keep the old pistons and just replace the knackered one/s, is the few grams of difference in weights of pistons going to be detrimental to the engines performance and life. I've been looking bits up as and when I can doing research on the subjects, don't wanna put it together after spending a fair bit o dosh on it only to muller the thing into oblivion when I start it the first time.

It's very much an very interesting yet highly frustrating task to take on. Patience is very much key to this sorta stuff I've found out.
Also don't get me started on head bolts..

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Apologies for not replying to your pm but I have only been dipping in and out to post nonsense!
We only just got the barrels in the other week, pistons *should* be in soon. The bare barrels come in at £175+ vat each, pistons with rings and pin will be a similar price, notched cam and adaptor around £150+vat so realistically a 2.5 set with a cam will cost about £1600+vat once delivered with barrel seals etc.
You will still need an 82mm crank, so budget another £700 by the time its crossed the Atlantic twice if it goes to DPR unless you source one from Europe...note: use a proper shipping agent and always complete a temporary import license or you will pay extra duty on return to the UK!