exhaust silencer ideas.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dubaroo
80-90 Mem No: 2537

exhaust silencer ideas.

Post by dubaroo »

Hi there, i have acquired a replacement 1.9 wbx engine fitted with a JK stainless system, minus a silencer, just found out they don't sell the silencer separately :( . Its a push on, not a flange mount. The pipe is about 45mm dia, just wondering if any body has any ingenious ideas, motorcycle maybe?  cheers Kevin. 
member No 2537

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: exhaust silencer ideas.

Post by Aidan »

early diesel silencer might fit but how it would work I don't know, but any of the Longlife brand stainless exhaust sytem makers could do you a solution see who your nearest one is

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

Longlife should easily bake you up a back box and will be able to ‘tune’ it to your desired noise level.

Are you wanting stainless or just something to use? Think iirc a golf/Jetta 1.8 centre silencer may just slip on. But they are straight through so may be too loud.

Personally, I’d say the custom longlife etc would be your best long term option.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

dubaroo

Post by dubaroo »

I would ideally want stainless, not too loud, trying not to upset the neighbours! i will check out the longlife suggestions though, thanks.
member No 2537

dubaroo

Post by dubaroo »

got in touch with longlife ..
"Firstly, please let me take this opportunity to thank you for getting in touch with us regarding an exhaust for your VW Transporter T3.

Unfortunately due to the diameter needed for the exhaust were unable to carry out this work.

Sorry for any inconvenience, I wish you the best of luck with your vehicle."
member No 2537

ash1293

Post by ash1293 »

Was that a central enquiry or branch specific?

I would be very surprised if they couldn’t do anything for you. That response almost sounds as if “computer says no”

The silencer is slip on? Is the pipe you have 45mm internal or external? Do you know if the design of the system uses the original saddles to hold the silencer? If so the diameter of the std silencer......I could nip out and measure when I’m home if needed.

dubaroo

Post by dubaroo »

Looking at it now that was a branch reply, The system is JK J41207 T25 Stainless Steel Full Exhaust Kit
Slip on silencer, 45mm outside diameter
member No 2537

ash1293

Post by ash1293 »

I suspect there is some confusion going on here - could they possibly think you were looking for a silencer 45mm in diameter? I know it sounds ridiculous but would explain a lot.

Longlife custom make systems for just about any vehicle so looking at the jk system, apart from the nlet being slightly offset there is nothing complex to the silencer.

If you have a local branch I would say its worth popping in with eithe rthe van or at least a photo of the jk system and see what they say.

But otherwise if the pipe you have is 45mm external I'm sure you could find a universal stainless silencer that will fit in the saddle (may need minor modifications) and then tailpipe of your choice.

Or rip it all off and give it to me :D

if I get chance later I'll try and measure the standard silencer diameter/length.....

but a few ideas:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-30 ... SwHv1dxrX8

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Stain ... Swdx1aDqC7

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-1-75-x-20- ... e3dd8f4119

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silencer-5-x ... e3dd8f4119

But again longlife (and other custome exhaust places) will stock/use a variety of boxes like these, may even custom pack them but I'm not sure on this, so should be easily able to make something to fit. Same with choice of tailpipe and exit orientation.

dubaroo

Post by dubaroo »

Thanks for your help, i will investigate further, but I probably won't rip it off and give it to you ! Image :lol:
member No 2537

trundletruc
80-90 Mem No: 1225

Post by trundletruc »

The early Just Kampers SS exhaust systems where made by JP Exhausts in Congleton. Just Kampers then used the design to have them made cheaper? in China. JP Exhausts have just made me a complete system and I am very pleased with it. They say it is guarenteed for the life of the vehicle. The silencer is a straight through one but is reasonably quiet, which is exactly what we wanted for long motorway journeys.
I suggest that you contact Tony 01625 619916 or sales@jpexhausts.co.uk to see if they will let you have just the silencer.
Trundletruc 1984 DG-DJ Devon Moonraker

dubaroo

Post by dubaroo »

That's interesting thanks for the heads up on that, I still haven't sorted the exhaust, so I will get in touch and see if they do just the silencer. Kevin. 
member No 2537