Auto Gearbox Oil Change ?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Auto Gearbox Oil Change ?

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

I have been asked to help someone change the oil in their auto gearbox , not a job I have done before

He has bought  the correct  oil, filters,  etc - but having never done one..... am hoping for some pointers from someone here who has. He wants the coolant changed too but I'm ok on that front.

Thanks in anticipation.... and best wishes  from "overcrowded beach"  Brighton to all 80-90 members  :ok  

Matt

aknapper
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Auto Gearbox Oil Change ?

Post by aknapper »

Hmm, I did mine last summer but on a manual gearbox so not sure all this is applicable? 
there's a good instruction video on youtube by James Aker 'Sir Adventure' for changing it on a manual box

you need a few extra tools to make it go smoothly:
-oil resevoir/funnel with long plastic hose to insert into gearbox fill opening - it's way too far to try to pour and of course the opening is on the side..
-correct large hex key insert to remove the plugs (got mine from Brickwerks I think)
-a new plug (optional also from Brickwerks)

getting access to the gearbox fill plug wasn't simple - first the gearshift connection was in the way so had to drop that, and then hex key insert/socket wrench combo was slightly too long and hit the exhaust system.  I carefully clamped the exhaust just enough to give me a few millimetres of room to get the socket combo in and then left for loosed it.  There is probably a better hex key/socket combo to use but hey it worked.
Filling it up though - I think it takes 3.5 l from a 5 l jug but don't quote me on this - so look online for correct amount to put in. :ok

'87 Komet hightop DG

1987 Komet Hightop DG

AllTheGear_NoIdea
80-90 Mem No: 16092

Re: Auto Gearbox Oil Change ?

Post by AllTheGear_NoIdea »

This post on the Samba is very good on how to change the ATF in an auto…

I have an auto and have changed the ATF several times, I struggled to find much info on how to do it but over the pond they have more Autos than Manuals, hence the Samba.
1988 Caravelle GL 2.1 WBX Dj Auto

1978 Baywindow 2.0 Aircooled type 4 CU